AUDI A6 1.9TDI SMOKE PROBLEMS

tomcram

I have had some problems with my 2002 Audi A6 1.9tdi lately.

About 6 months ago it started belching out a lot of smoke and the turbo stopped working. I got a new turbo fitted my my local diesel injection centre. They said the problem was caused by the EGR valve and suggested blanking it off. This was done and it ran a lot better for a while and now the turbo has failed again.I have done some research and apparantly if you blank off the egr valve the turbo will break due to the high operating temeperatures. Thank you Sunderland Diesel Injection Centre for blanking mine off. Anyway my plan is to replace the EGR valve the Turbo (again) the oil supply pipe to the turbo and gaskets and nuts etc. I am also going to take off the inlet manifold and clean it out as it is full of oil.The pipe that comes from the intercooler to the egr valve is also quite messy so I will clean this as well.

Is there anything else I should do at the same time or is there something else which could have caused the problem?

Hope some of you have some ideas?

Regards

Tom Cram

Hi Tom!

What fuel are you using? Also, it is worth cleaning the MAF (in the air filter housing). If this is caked with oily deposits/dirt, it will send a false reading to the engine ECU, and maybe over fuel your car etc etc.

Probably best just to replace the turbo/intercooler pipes. They will be quite soft and squidgy, so might be better to replace.

How many miles has it done?

(you are from Newcastle - hope you did not leave any black'n'white stripes in your car in Sunderland!!!)

The has now done 120k. I do about 40k per year.

I buy my fuel at Esso proper legit fuel.

It looks ok inside the air filter housing.

I've also read that if you blank of the egr valve then you will get oil from the sump dragged into the air intake.

I just don't want to do all this for it to happen again. Wish I had just replaced the egr the first time.

Thanks for your response.

Think I left a black cloud over the stadium of light!

It hasn't cleared yet!

Tom