Dealer wrecked my engine

sconnor

Took my Mk5 GTI in for the clutch insulation recall and while it was at the dealers they noticed the turbo dump valve was not working, they ordered the parts and told me the car was ok to use until i came back next saturday morning. When i drove the car i noticed a high pitch whine that was not there before so i drove the car back after 100yds of travel. Handed the keys back to the service man and told him about the noise, he spoke to engineer and returned saying i would have to put up with noise until the new valve was fitted and to quote him "we would never send out a car that was unsafe to use" . After about 8 miles of travel the whining stopped and huge plumes of blue and what appeared to steam came pouring out of the car and all power went. Got VW assist to come and collect the car after the dealer did not answer the telephone. I am after some advice on how to deal with the dealers on Monday morning and should i be insisting on a new engine and catalyst if by sounds of the engine the turbo has expired.

Welcome to TSN, scone.

You should be insisting on whatever, and however much it takes, to give you your car back in perfect working condition as it was before. That's what warranties are for.

If you aren't satisfied with your dealer then go above their head to VW UK but you must give your dealer the opportunity to put things right first.

Hi Scone

What a depressing experience - sad to hear your tale frown.gif

Were the plumes of smoke actually steam? Or oil vapour? Or combustion products?

If it was water vapour it is less likely to have gone through to the exhaust and damaged the catalyst - an incompletely combusted or contaminated products may do so. Normally the lambda sensor would spot an adverse combusion mix and this will show in the error codes when the garage interrogate the ECU with their VAG.com

The engine management system will also tend to shut things down and go into limp-home mode when there is a potentially serious problem. This limp-home mode produces a loss of power - so your engine doesn't actually have to have sustained any damage for you to lose power....

Although of course, the reverse can happen - your engine gets damaged then gets shut down!

Sounds like your car will be off the road for the time it takes to get the parts for the dump valve anyway PLUS whatever they need for this problem.

Ask the dealer for a Courtesy car as your car as a Mark 5 GTI must still be under Warranty. Alternatively ask him/her to get you a hire car or to approve/cover your hire charges if they don't have a loan car available.

Best to be persistent - last time a similar thing happened to me, they said they didn't have a loan car - true enough - but plenty of the salesmen have company cars - and we ended up with one of theirs for a week. Presumably the salesman took public transport or used one of the second hand cars on sale for a week....

Good luck and let us know how you get on 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for all your replies, the car is 12 months old and up till now ive been made up with it. I hadnt noticed anything to lead me think there was any faults with the engine.

The smoke was definately blue to begin with and then seemed to change to steam. When vw assist started the engine the biggest cloud of blue smoke i had ever seen came out and it rattled like hell until he quickly switched it off.

My worry is now that if the turbo has blown the engine may have ingested parts of the impellor and damaged the pistons and cylinder head, plus i cant imagine a catalyst reacts too well to large amounts of engine oil passing through it.

From what i have seen of the dealer so far im not confident that they have the knowledge or experience to fix the problem and that they will try to fob me off with the cheapest fix posible as the failure seems to have been caused by them.

Aaaargh....

Blue smoke and noise/grinding on battery turnover does not sound at all good

Blue smoke at turnover - that smoke into catalyst = all bad

Sounds dreadful Flush.gif

What fuel do you use normally?

Good luck with sorting out the car 169144-ok.gif

Mind you, it's this sort of story that makes remapping such an open ended tale shocked.gif

You can just imagine the dealer saying - well you had it remapped so it's not covered smashfreakB.gif

Yet with scone's car this is a failure of a virgin unremapped car frown.gif

Been in to dealer today and the turbo shaft had broken in two, nothing has gone into the induction side of the engine which is a relief but they will be replacing the entire exhaust including the manifold. No one is owning to a mistake and they looked at me mystified when i asked for an explanion. Does anyone know if the oil feed to the turbo is a rubber hose and is it possible to put a kink in it. Its at least 10-12 days to get the parts so until my GTI returns i am a proud owner of a Ford Focus.

On a different subject i was talking to one of the engineers who had formerley worked for VW racing about remaps and he told me it was impossible for the dealer to spot a remapped car except by driving it.

Hmmm, depends on how knowledgeable the service engineer is on VAG com

There are a number of checksums that will change as a result of a remap, however most dealers won't go looking.

In the "broken turbo" scenario, you may not get the opportunity to switch your ECU to its original setting, so when the dealer drives your car after repairs the remap will be obvious to any bright engineer!

Pleased you're getting it fixed OK smirk.gif but shame no explanation as to why the shaft has broken! frown.gif - Does anyone know the life expectancy of turbo's these days? I remember back in the 80's shocked.gif before fully synthetic oil was used I guess, it semed to be people's opinion that they needed attention after 80,000 miles. Has this changed nowadays or can you expect them to go on for the life of the engine without attention?

[ QUOTE ]

No one is owning to a mistake and they looked at me mystified when i asked for an explanion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, because if it's a warranty issue then VW pay

but if it's the Dealers fault then the dealer pays......

So no surprise then to find that you've got a Warranty problem yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Still, as long as it gets properly sorted out, should be fine 169144-ok.gif

Good news! My GTI is back with me complete with new turbo and exhaust, fair play to the dealer they have done there best to get it back to me and i have some sort of explanation. My car no longer makes the whoosh sound it did when you lift off the throttle which was caused by the diverter valve not opening, the whooshing was the engine attempting to stall the turbo which in turn caused premature turbo wear. A lot of people in dump valve thread said there car whooshes everytime they accelerate, now my car has a new turbo and diverter valve it is almost silent, if i was them i would be tempted to get it checked at the dealer.

mine makes the noise when you ease off, i think it sounds superb and have no reason to think its a fault. It runs perfect, loads of power, no lag, it economical, flagged its first service at a good mileage. Dealer mentioned that they should all make the noise once run in. Its only noticable with the window down though, is this the same for everybody who can hear it?