Help with 99 polo 1.4cl please

wrecknroll

Hello,

I have been having problems with my VW 99 polo 1.4 cl after cleaning the throttle body due to the revs varing. The throttle body was cleaned in the car with standard carb cleaner, I have not removed it, just cleaned it in position. The throttle body was quite dirty .

The car starts and idles fine, but when its driven the revs come up to 1800RPM and won't back off till the car comes to a total stop, then it idles correctly again. I have noticed if you take it out of gear and let it freewheel the the revs will come up to 1800rmp when the wheel speed reaches 5mph and then stays there until the car comes to a stop, when it will return to normal 900rpm idle. Very strange. I thought maybe the throttle body might be at fault or carb cleaner has upset it? Any idea's plz confused.gif

APQ 1400 engine

Multipoint injection

The throttle body gets dirty this stops the air going into the engine causing a low idle speed so the ECU open the throttle more to raise it back up. This happens over many months and is very slow process.

When you clean the throttle out the ecu is keeping the butterfly in the same place and letting to much air in.

Throttle body adpation forces the ECU to relearn the idle setting. 169144-ok.gif

Stick a post in the VAG_COM section to see if anyone near you has VAG-COM 169144-ok.gif

Right I'm with you, I see now whats happened after you explained it. 169144-ok.gif

weirdly the car still idles fine even with the cleaning, its only when I try to drive that it gets upset and puts in to many revs. It must be checking rolling speed somehow and making some sort of adjustment to the throttle. I guess cleaning the throttle body upset that part of its function.

did a throttle body alignment, no luck still the same problem. So we changed the throttle body to a new one and did another re adpation / still the revs hold high under any wheel movement and holds 1100 rpm on tick over which is too high. Vacuum tested the sytem, its perfect . I don't think the throttle body is adapting properly. This was done on a bosch machien. No fault codes were found.

Right I found the problem. If you get high revs during Idle, mine was 1100rpm and the Idle speed increases to 1800-2000rpm during any wheel movement(driving) of speeds over 3mph or more after you have cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and had it re adapted, check the water temperature sender sensor (4 pin sensor) that sits near the distributor in the water housing. Mine reads perfect on diagnostics machiens, but it was faulty. It would seem cleaning the throttle body has shown up this fault, alittle weird but there you go. After changing the sensor the idle is now at around 850-900rpm and throttle only climbs about another 100rpm more during wheel movements as per spec.

Hope this information helps other! 169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif