2003 Golf GT TDI 130 ASR light on

Wallachie

My mate is having trouble with his Golf, the ASR light keeps coming on when he starts the car, and says it seems to be running on 3 cylinders. This is intermittent and suddenly can just start running fine again.

His clutch has also failed for a 2nd time very recently, it's slipping at the moment; the current clutch has only been in for about 4 months and the car has only covered under 60k.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be??

Cheers

Well even though I'm certainly not the expert on the mechanicals of these cars,I had exactly the same problem recently and thanks to Tobes,Rusty and others,what I'm about to tell you will cure it.

It is down to a dodgy injector connection.

What he needs to do is buy a new plastic plug for the first injector only,the one to the furthest left as you look under the bonnet,and fit it.

You remove the rocker cover(about 13 10mm bolts)and you will see the 2 wires going into the small black plastic plug.This needs to be removed and replaced with the new part,it will cure it!

The part was 1.47 from VW and reasonably easy to fit.The only thing he needs to make sure is that when replacing the rocker cover,the rubber gasket stays seated in the correct postiion around the edge,otherwise you get an oil drip like I've had for the last few days.

I've no doubt made it sound harder than it is,but I promise you,if I can do it anyone can.

Good luck! 169144-ok.gif

• 2 months later...

[ QUOTE ]

Well even though I'm certainly not the expert on the mechanicals of these cars,I had exactly the same problem recently and thanks to Tobes,Rusty and others,what I'm about to tell you will cure it.

It is down to a dodgy injector connection.

What he needs to do is buy a new plastic plug for the first injector only,the one to the furthest left as you look under the bonnet,and fit it.

You remove the rocker cover(about 13 10mm bolts)and you will see the 2 wires going into the small black plastic plug.This needs to be removed and replaced with the new part,it will cure it!

The part was 1.47 from VW and reasonably easy to fit.The only thing he needs to make sure is that when replacing the rocker cover,the rubber gasket stays seated in the correct postiion around the edge,otherwise you get an oil drip like I've had for the last few days.

I've no doubt made it sound harder than it is,but I promise you,if I can do it anyone can.

Good luck! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a tranverse engine you can buy the whole loom part that goes into the engine for £30 (if you dont want to fiddle about with little connectors).

Dont try and remove the rocker cover gasket from the plastic cover, they come as one unit and are £80+vat. 169144-ok.gif