Oil drip from intercooler

paul130TDI

Hi, Wondering has anyone else had a similar problem. Recently discovered an oil drip from the intercooler just in front of the drivers wheel. My understanding is that the turbo is oil fed from the engine oil, which is what is dripping.

Everyone seems to be suggesting that it is a leak in the turbo which is allowing the oil into the air pipe which then is leaking out. Although with only 53k on the clock, id expect an audi turbo to last longer.

the car is an A3 130TDI sport, Nov 2001 reg.

Has anyone else had a similar problem. I have had quotes of up to 1k for replacement and 500 for refurbishment.

Have to be honest. 53k before it leaked is good for a turbo. Moreso a diesel. Your problem is more of a characteristic than a failure.

The seals in the turbo have to go through a lot, extreme heat, extreme pressure, hot oil and cold air.

The fact your car is a relatively modern turbo means the breather system and egr systems will be connected to the intake system somewhere along the line which puts a greater strain on the turbo.

The biggest killer of turbos is lack of maintenance, a friend of mine works with a turbo reconditioning company and reckons 99% of turbo failures are down to lack of maintenace or poor quality oil/filters.