Chipping, while keeping Audi warranty

GCab

Apparently Abt chips can be installed by some trained Audi dealerships, and if done this way the car both keeps its Audi warranty and gains an Abt warranty for blown turbos or other adverse effects of the chipping.

Is this unique ? The MTM chip seems to offer better bhp (206 (MTM) vs. 190 (Abt)for a 2.5 TDi) but you lose the warranty. Going the Abt route seems to get rid of the "if you play, you pay" factor - am I missing something ?

It's not unique, because it isn't true. The only Abt tuning product that has Audi UK approval at this time is the RS6 chip.

Some individual dealers may offer chips from various companies and provide a warranty on the conversion, but this is not the same as Audi UK honouring the warranty - what happens if the dealer goes bust or you break down 400 miles away...

[ QUOTE ]

It's not unique, because it isn't true. The only Abt tuning product that has Audi UK approval at this time is the RS6 chip.

Some individual dealers may offer chips from various companies and provide a warranty on the conversion, but this is not the same as Audi UK honouring the warranty - what happens if the dealer goes bust or you break down 400 miles away...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I was going to have a Revo re-map (and probably still will!) so I will give it a bit more thought. My other plan was to go for an otieger (excuse spelling) as I percieve it as the best, is this the case?

I do not plan on keeping the car past end of warranty (RS3 smlove2.gifRS3) so some form of warranty would be good. I will take a chance on the dealership, as for distance it's not my main car so I guess the RAC would tow it home (?) and my dealer would fix it under warranty???

The other thing I wondered was when I sell the car should I remove the re-map (re-re-map? (the crowd say bo-selecta) but then how much would this cost and would a dealer know/refuse any outstanding warranty to the new owner?

Or am I then forced to sell it 'Mapped' and if so what will that do to my sale price? smashfreakB.gif

Maybe the RS3 will only be an avant and then I will stick with my S3 and just Mod it past 400 bhp with 20" alloys yelrotflmao.gif

The other thing I have just thought, does chipping affect GAP insurance?.........Prob not?

From the FAQ on http://www.revotechnik.com/uk/ukrevo.html

Can the dealer see that my car is modified?

Not at all. Since there is no removal of any hardware there is no physical indication that the car has been modified. Engine electronics behave exactly as original and cannot be re-flashed by the dealer. The dealer computers cannot detect the software even with the latest versions of equipment. Since there are no permanent changes to the ECU then the factory original code can simply be reloaded.

The dealer cannot see something that truly isn’t there!

Can the insurance company see that the car is modified?

Insurance companies, like dealers, use different methods of discovery when it comes to chipping. Some use dealer computers to inspect the ECU while others physically open the ECU to inspect the soldering on the chip.

In either event the software would be completely invisible.

If you want total piece of mind then you should inform your insurer of ANY mods that you make to your car - whether everyone does is a different matter!

What Clived says above is correct regarding honering of warranty, no doubt you have to go to them for ALL work required on your vehicle - therefore they gain not only on selling you the chip but also on tieing you in on all the servicing for your vehicle. Don't forget, they get all the labour costs from you and will no doubt 'forget' to tell Audi UK about your mod if replacement parts are neccesary.

I get the feeling people worry more about warrenty than insurance - it really should be the other way around.

Simon.

Thanks. True enough.

As far as warranties go, I note the Oettinger dealer in Banbury (can't remember company name now) offer a backup warranty offer, in that they will pay the Audi garage to fix any problem for which warranty is refused as a result of having the Oettinger mod. If this works in good faith, it seems a better bet than relying on a promise that Audi will honour the warranty despite the mod... so at the moment it's looking like Oettinger rather than Abt.

Unless performance and other factors over-rule all the above - I don't want to let the warranty tail wag the performance dog - so, got a better offer than 190 bhp/380 Nm for a 2.5 tdi A4 cabriolet, Simon ? cool.gif

Good point re. insurance, I have every intention of telling them...

[ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

Sounds good to me. Did you go to the same place - Road & Sport Development (RSD), Banbury ? You were happy with the service, I take it ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I went there Gav, good service and good relations with Oettinger in Germany, I would recommend them....and that's even with them working out of a backstreet sort of garage setup, but I have respect for them. You also have to consider that I must of had a lot of trust in them because I had my Dutch car chipped by them, yes, that's right I came back from Holland and had my car chipped on my holiday/business trip.

I have no problems to date, and love every minute of it! grin.gif

Just one thing to point out though, is that even though they say they will backup the warranty this is in relation to items directly related to chipping. What your dealer may do though is completely refuse to warrant your car because it's chipped, so even if the failure is nothing to do with the engine they may refuse warranty. So check with the local dealers first to see if they are chip friendly.

If you do decide to go with them then mention my name (Daniel), Dutch A3 and 0-60 in 6.49 seconds and see if they'll give you any discount.

[ QUOTE ]

Just one thing to point out though, is that even though they say they will backup the warranty this is in relation to items directly related to chipping. What your dealer may do though is completely refuse to warrant your car because it's chipped, so even if the failure is nothing to do with the engine they may refuse warranty. So check with the local dealers first to see if they are chip friendly.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can't do that. At least not in the UK. They are only allowed to turn away related issues. Of course what's not "related" to one man, might well be to another. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They can't do that. At least not in the UK. They are only allowed to turn away related issues. Of course what's not "related" to one man, might well be to another. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly that's the theory, but as the expensive failures tend to relate to running gear i.e. engines, transmission, suspension, brakes etc... and if you think about a chip it can indirectly have a bearing on these items, the chip makes you go faster so the brake discs warped, not because they weren't fitted properly or there is a material defect...do you see what I mean.

A dealer maybe inclined to deny such repairs due to a chip, if they wanted to be real [email protected] about it, which I hear some can be!

So all I say is just beware of potential hazards. Not that I have to ' cos they don't give a dam across here!

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

Sounds good to me. Did you go to the same place - Road & Sport Development (RSD), Banbury ? You were happy with the service, I take it ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I went there Gav, good service and good relations with Oettinger in Germany, I would recommend them....and that's even with them working out of a backstreet sort of garage setup, but I have respect for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea of cost?

[ QUOTE ]

I have had my share of trouble with the dealers. If they possibly can screw you some of them will.

And be careful about what you say on the net because there seem to be people out there who will grass you up to your dealer for having mods - confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so what happened dude?...i kinda remember you had a problem didnt realise someone dobed you in.....thats low diggity rocketwhore.gif