Countach (with pics)

Pincher

What? That's Automotive Design Heaven you're talking about there!

The most revolutionary car design of all time - 20 years ahead of it's time in every respect.

I'd have one tomorrow, no question, though preferably the Anniversary edition as it was a lot easier to drive and wore time better.

If I'd have been behind it - I'd have been accused of stalking because I'd have had to follow it for as long as I possibly could - regardless of which route it took!

Did the plate look something like AGGRO? There was an identical Red Countach with the huge wing and all the kit on the next camping pitch to us at Le Mans last year. Two guys turned up in it and got the smallest two man tent I have ever seen out of the storage compartment. They got a bottle of wine, two glasses and a checked table cloth out of somewhere or other and put the tablecloth on that huge spoiler for afternoon drinks. Really good blokes too, had a good chat with them over the weekend 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Had 500 on the back - what's that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

That means, as does the general style of the car, that it was a Countach LP500S

The basic statistics of the car in your photograph are as follows:

Engine capacity: 4.8 litre V12

Price new: £57,000 in 1985

0-62mph: 5.6s

Max speed: 186 mph

BHP: 375

Torque: 302

BHP per ton: 252

My own preference is for the Countach Anniversay which is actually what my Avatar was prior to the Barca result:

795400-Countach.jpg

The Anniversary had the 5.1 litre V12 engine and produced 425 bhp, giving it a power to weight bhp of 271 bhp per ton - and the car was legendary for it's overtaking power. Mid-range grunt was awesome (especially for it's year). It produced 369 lbs/ft of torque - all driven through the widest rear tyres ever to be put on a production car. Top speed was anywhere between 185 to 190 mph - on dependant on whether you had the rear wing in place or not.

The Anniversary was replaced by the Diablo of course, but it's still a car I'd love to own one day - if I could sleep soundly for fear of the running costs. Buying one can be done for less than £60k - but running one is a rather different matter.

They were actually very reliable cars - but they needed care and attention every 6,000 miles or 6 months - and it's very expensive care and attention indeed. I've looked into them in a lot of detail and you can reckon on annual running costs of around £8-10k.

post-6775-137914356157_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Did the plate look something like AGGRO? 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this plate on a Countach last year but it was definately a black one confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I am too. As of Le Mans last summer it was 100% Red! I saw it every morning as we got up.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My own preference is for the Countach Anniversay which is actually what my Avatar was prior to the Barca result:

795400-Countach.jpg

The Anniversary had the 5.1 litre V12 engine and produced 425 bhp, giving it a power to weight bhp of 271 bhp per ton - and the car was legendary for it's overtaking power. Mid-range grunt was awesome (especially for it's year). It produced 369 lbs/ft of torque - all driven through the widest rear tyres ever to be put on a production car. Top speed was anywhere between 185 to 190 mph - on dependant on whether you had the rear wing in place or not.

The Anniversary was replaced by the Diablo of course, but it's still a car I'd love to own one day - if I could sleep soundly for fear of the running costs. Buying one can be done for less than £60k - but running one is a rather different matter.

They were actually very reliable cars - but they needed care and attention every 6,000 miles or 6 months - and it's very expensive care and attention indeed. I've looked into them in a lot of detail and you can reckon on annual running costs of around £8-10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that a picture of a replica - not the proper jobbie ?

The front side fins are just moulded, the side repeaters wrong shape and size, etc etc coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris - not doubting your car knowledge, but it looks as though you may have got this one wrong tongue.gif

796770-lc_rac.JPG

post-179-137914356292_thumb.jpg