Temperature issues 1998 Passat TDi 110

Quicksilver1404

Hi,

Im wondering if anyone can help me at all. I‘ve got a 1998 Passat TDi 110 sport. The Temperature has just started to give odd readings. Even when the car is normally fully warmed up normally after about 5-7 miles the gauge will display hasn’t moved, sometime it gets warm then shows as cold again, sometimes its sits exactly in the middle as it has done for the two years I’ve owned it. T0day it seems to be cold almost all the time. This has been happening for about 2weeks until today were it was showing cold my whole journey to work (about 25 miles). Its not running rough at all and there no performance issues is running fine. I’m just wondering if its common fault and what could be causing it such as a broken water pump, Gasket or dodgy gauge. Also I’m no mechanic so is driving it going to do any/long term damage.

Just fitted a new sensor to mine, i had the same problem, not starting properly like madrigals car. My temp gauge etc read ok as well.

Only fitted it at the weekend so a bit early to say if its cured the problem.

If you search for a post "starting problems" all the info you need is there. Just ignore the first picture though as it is completley the wrong part.

Thepart costs about £27.00 from stealers and is easy to fit.

169144-ok.gif