Monza 18" & Corrosion

I've noticed several GTI's now including many used ones for sale on VW forecourts with quite shocking badly corroding wheels. I know it's been discussed on here before to a degree, but what is the position with warrenty claims? I guess most of us here on TSN look after our cars carefully (cleaning etc). However, my feeling is that more 'normally' maintained GTI's are suffering from this problem to a far greater degree.

I plan to keep my GTI for over 3 years and fear I this may well become an expensive recurring problem after the warrenty expires frown.gif

Unfortunately I haven't got any pics - I keep forgetting my phone has a decent camera. frown.gif However, on the ones I've seen its like white blistering blotches often about the size of 5p coins and sometimes a little larger under the lacquer I think. I think they often form close to the wheel nut countersinks and centre caps. You can kind of see it spidering outwards from these blotches via faint white lines. I saw two different GTI's with this on Saturday for sale on a VW forecourt and one earlier last week in a car park. Quite alarming really shocked.gif I'm no expert on these things but I should imagine that once the 'rot' has set in they would deteriorate fairly rapidly.

Wonder could this kind of problem be replaced as part of the paintwork warranty or the normal 2/3 year parts warranty? Technically if the finish on the rims is coming undone then it is a bodywork/paintwork issue?

Reason I ask is that the wheels on my 3 year old Volvo have a lot of the lacquer off them but warranty is up now and I am thinking of going after them being replaced/repaired as part of the 10 year paint warranty.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paddy

[ QUOTE ]

....white blistering blotches often about the size of 5p coins and sometimes a little larger under the lacquer I think..... via faint white lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Common problem with polished/lac wheels. I have been saying this all along.

VW normally replace the wheels within the first 2 years (from experience) without any problems at all, the problem comes with the 3rd year, Its a deealer VWuk backed warrenty its a pain to claim off. I managed it but its not anywere as easy.

This sounds like the BBS Anniversary wheels saga all over again.

Since Sept 2002 I've had 4 sets of alloys on my car.... each being replaced under warranty by VW.

You'd think VW could have sorted this out by now, especially for the MKV GTi wheel.

169144-ok.gif Brilliant news MM - quite rightly too though...for those of you out there with kerbed 18's, inspect thoroughly for corrosion elswhere on the wheel and report to your friendly stealer immediately for replacements! yelrotflmao.gif

Someone reported that VW are good with this sort of thing up to 2 years old and then it gets tricky. ices_blah.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Pointed out corrosion spots on 2 of my wheels to the service manager this morning when I took mine in for it's service. No quibbles - 2 new wheels on order from warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 2 new wheels? I managed to pursuade that as my R32 was 2 1/2 years old, I wouldn't be happy with just the one replacement, I would need 4 new wheels (only one was blistered) "No problem sir!" You are covered for the wheels right up to the 3 years, most manufacturers are like that except for renault...my mate at work has just had the argument with them and they are only for 2 years on the wheels. 169144-ok.gif You are running the risk of colour difference, as long as the wheels are on the same side it shouldn't be too bad

If someone can get some pictures of theis "corrosion", that would help as i think two of mine are going that way....one however has a nasty chunk out of it from being kerbed a few weeks back so if i can pass that back to VW i will be a happy chappie!! wink.gif

I've had 3 of my Monzas swapped today, no hassle.

Mine is 10 months old, and has tuned 17500 miles.

It's a company motor, and to be honest I was pretty surprised at the state of the wheels. If I'd of brought the car myself, I'd of been even more annoyed at the poor standard of the wheels.

Still, after the stealer did a good job valeting it, it's looking like new again now 169144-ok.gif

I took my car to the dealer on Friday ,as I had corrosion on a couple of wheels ,the service manager told me they were caused by stone chippings and they would not be covered , I think I will be taking this further.

Could anyone suggest the next step for me to take ?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cawky... I suggest you print out this thread for starters and take it with you 169144-ok.gif This proves that VW dealers up and down UK are replacing corroded 18's under warranty - the dealer first has to do a pre approval and then run it by VW, it has been shown here that VW are approving them also so tell dealer to get up off his fat a**e and sort you out - he is just looking to fob you off.

Best of Luck

Paddy

[ QUOTE ]

I took my car to the dealer on Friday ,as I had corrosion on a couple of wheels ,the service manager told me they were caused by stone chippings and they would not be covered , I think I will be taking this further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's your Dealer???