DSG

stevie_d

Stevie - Having had a few of these (automated manuals) in BMW M3's and lately a CSL... I Doubt very much indeed that the Clutches are sealed for life... even though - as you say - incorrect use by an individual can be eliminated these components will still wear out.

Also - given that the contact surface area of the clutch plates are smaller than a manual car - I would have thought that the amount of torque the clutch/gearbox was able to handle is likely to be less than a manual.

However, I am not aware of any documentation that states theoretical stress limits for wither clutch - maybe someone will come along with those figures....?

I think you are right, Nigel - A good tuner will know that the DSG version of the Mk5 GTI needs to accommodate less torque. Figures have been given in a much earlier post in this forum.

With the built-in safeguards the GTI's DSG has I think it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to misuse the clutches, but of course they will wear out in time. I wonder what the life expectancy is likely to be.