MK5 GTi - Problem starting up first time

bonkersrob

Hi Guys,

This has happened during the last 4 days now (both in the morning, and also in the evening!) - when I went to move the car tonight - I turned the ignition key and the engine just would not ignite - no matter how long I held the key in the forward position - it just kept turning but no ignite.

I had to take the key out of the ignition, and insert again - and hey presto, the car started fine.

Could this be anything to do with the plugs/ coilpacks of the car?

I'll check the battery terminals tomorrow, just incase (but I don't think it's anything to do with this, as I get power to the car fine and the ignition works ok and the dash display etc) & will also email my dealership.

Let me know if you have any idea why this is going on!

Kind Regards,

Rob

I agree with Red... I am of the opinion that the entire software system on the GTi is a bit.... errr.. windows 98...

If you jump in the car, ram in the key and try and start the key does nothing... just a case of being a bit quick for the software... mine has always done this and so does my new one.

Take your time and it is fine...

Other curious electrickery things that jsut make me laugh now are...

Music on and open the boot - rear speakers go off...

open the boot - rear wiper sometimes goes off...

High beam - left switched on does not come back on again...

I am not gonna bother with going back to the dealer anymore...

The biggest problem I used to have was a crazy wiper nearly all the time... now it is just every now and then... I can live with that...

I have little faith in VW Dealers to fix these issues as they are so hard to detect...

My electric mirrors are much better now... but you can still confuse them....

Bless.

Hi Guys,

I've taken the GTi into the dealers this morning - it took me 4 attempts (re-insert the key into the ignition each time) to get the car to start this morning. I was worried at one stage that I'd have to get the dealer to tow/ get a transporter to fetch the car......

They are going to have a look at it this afternoon - let's hope they can find the problem and get it sorted.

We also have a diesel Bora TDi 150 - and that start up everytime (and yes, I do take my time and let all the specific lights go out before turning the key!).

They are also going to do a full diagnostic on the car they tell me. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Rob

[ QUOTE ]

If you jump in the car, ram in the key and try and start the key does nothing... just a case of being a bit quick for the software

Take your time and it is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

No good as a getaway car then! ROLLEY~14.GIFtongue.gif Would also be useless in the old style racing where the driver ran to the car, jumped in, started the engine and raced off. GTI last off the line EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

High beam - left switched on does not come back on again...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is supposed to happen, it means if you switch the lights off on high beam when you switch them back on you don't blind the car in front. Flicking the lever from high to low to high will put it on again.

Mikemod - If it is meant to happen then that is OK - not a bad piece of design, however, I assume maybe incorrectly, that it is not by design and just a result of having digital switching.

Just like when you close the sunroof with the key-fob and the switch still remains in the open position - when you get back in the car the car gets all confused over where the sunroof is - Bless...

I am not really that critical of the GTi's electronics - they are just a bit, how would I put it, questionable.

If I were to evaluate code like this in my profession it would be sent back - please try harder... wink.gif

Red - Indeed - that would be a miracle - that is what I mean... if that would have used a conventional digital type switch in that instance this would not be a problem... but they have used an analogue type device (which is much nicer in my opinion) trouble is they have not written the code to effectiviely support it. Therefore when you jump back into the car after such an event... the sunroof does not play ball for a couple of minutes... it does not respond to any switch movements.... just poor electronic logic again... it gets all confused as to where it is etc

Having forgotten to close the sunroof a few times I have now trained myself to close it 99% of the time before getting out of the car. IF I still forget and close it electrically from the door key, when I get back into the car the first thing I do is reset the switch to the correctly matching setting (closed).

Like you I very much prefer the rotary style switch as it's much safer to use while driving (or making progress). It's one of the very best sunshine roofs I've experienced in any car btw and I strongly recommend it as an option.

I'm off for a nice long drive soon 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif.

Red - I like your completeness mate - good discipline - just one question - does your sunroof screen rattle - mine does...

Also, when you have the roof tilted - does that rattle as well... I only ask - as I do not know whether to go back to the dealer or not and complain... it has already been in once for this...

Anyway, enjoy your drive it is a cracking day.

Mine rattles Nigel. An annoying little tick tapping from the passeenger side.

Put the roof all the way back. Get out and look at the runners. Theres a black metal frame running all around the rim of the sunroof that's about 2cms wide. Gently tap it and you'll see that it taps against the metal of the roof (movement that could be replicated by going over small bumps in the road).

Put something under it (card/gum/rubber) anything to stop it tapping.

I did this and it's more or less gone.

Just got to solve that feckin creaking coming from the rear... tried everything!!!! mad.gif

My sunroof screen rattles only when its pushed back.

One thing that is annoying which hasn't been mentioned is this;

When I open the driver window 1/4 of the way open and leave it for a while before pulling the window button up to close - it goes up an inch and then drops down to 3/4 open on its own - no amount of button pressing will stop it.

Once down you can then use the window winder to get it back up or all the way down, but not under auto control.

Happens regularly and is a bit irritating.

Hi Guys,

Regarding the starting problem - the car has been into the dealers - and they have upgraded the ECU software, and replaced the fuel pressure valve/ sensor, hence I'll see how it reacts now ie. when I try to start the car this morning.

Cheers,

Rob