Advice please

Drinks

Hi all. My mum has a 51 plate golf 1.6 which she has had from new and hardly uses. It has done 9800 miles. Had her 4th service in Jan and needed new brake pads and discs and an air-con regas (£800).

Had an engine fault come on at the weekend so she has taken it to be tested (£43) and has been told it is a faulty lambda sensor. Cost to replace is £193.

Now it is my understanding that a lambda sensor should be good for 30-50000 miles.

The VW garage has told her to contact VW custome care if she wants to discuss the matter.

Just wanted to see what you guys would do in her shoes.

Thanks

what is the advice you are after?? Its too old, so out of warranty - so i am assuming you dont want to go VW customer services to be told the same??

Best bet is get it dowon to an independent and get a quote 169144-ok.gif You will find it is cheaper!

If it was my motor, i wouldnt be getting it serviced at a main dealer at that cost either - for a 1.6 blush.gif

Find a good one (indy garage) in your area - where do you live??

Mum's car so it's in Liverpool. That was the advice I was after, really what should she be looking at cost wise at an independent dealer and can anyone recommend one.

Regards being in or out of warranty should the sensor really be giving up the ghost at this stage. Or is it a known problem hence some ammuntion for customer care.

Joking aside I doubt they will offer anything but its worth a go. Sometimes cars that do very little driving have more wear and tear on componets like exhaust as they never get hot enough to evaporate the water out of them that can damage things like the Lambda sensor.

As above take it to an independant and see what they will do it for, and genuinely if she just needs a car to drive around in very irregularly look at a 1.4 Corolla. Will last longer have fewer problems and will also be easier to drive. 169144-ok.gif

My Mums got one and she is thrilled to bits with it, its quick and has more power and drinks less than the VW and has plenty of kit as well. 14 months in problems so far.. Zero.

not heard of it being a known issue....... my wife has the 1.6 in the Bora and that has covered 15k no problems. I doubt you would get anything, but if you were lucky and cought someone nice in Customer Services, you might get a good-will gesture like a free MOT or something naff if you have full VW service history (sounds like you do).

Sensors come and go - you have just been unlucky. frown.gif

The MAIN issue with the 1.6 is the clutch. It was riveted onto the plate, not bolted. These rivets come loose at anything from about 20k to 60k (max usualy!) and the clutch self-destructs and takes most of the gearbox with it.....

I cant recomend anything in / near Liverpool, but there are a few on here that might. Try posting for help to find a dealer in the VW section if no-one comes along here 169144-ok.gif

Thanks guys.

The car is an auto so clutch plate shouldn't be a major headache.

That is also the problem with the amall engined corolla, do they do an auto and if so what is it like, otherwise would be perfect.

Well just confirmed with the branch what is going to happen.

After several phone calls to the dealership and VW customer care here is the result:

Of the £193 charge to replace the lambda sensor VW CC are willing to pay 30% of the costs and the dealership will pick up the rest of the bill apart from £5.

Which I think is an amazing result as really they are not obliged to do anything seeing as the car is out or warranty.

Just thought I would let people know that it is possible to get some good results with a bit of effort.

laugh.gif

Always worth a try, the wife's Fiesta had a leaking rear window but was about 2 yrs out of warranty. Dealer wouldn't do anything but we spoke to Ford, who told the dealer to get it sorted FOC, our argument being that a 3 yr old car shouldn't have water coming in.