Tyres for 18"

toti

I've just secured the Monza 18s "Down Under" and I'm extatic. I'm changing over the 17s when the car arrives in July plus a little extra for the 18s! VW Aus hav 123576-assfeck.gif me nicely. No discount on the car, 6 month wait and the equivalent of 1000 pounds to upgrade to the Monza II. I hope they're worth it sportifs2.gif

Anyhow the dealer has sourced some tyres for me at trade price. They are Fulda Extremo 225/40, Y rated (max 300km/h). Personally never heard of them but they're apparently German.. Anyone had any experience or know someone who is familiar with this maker?

beerchug.gif

Fulda - No, don't do it. NONO3.GIF In the same sort of bracket as the Kumhos I had on the 225 TT - when it rained it was mortally terrifying. I'd try and get something like the PS2 or Eagle F1s or even the Contis - they've been fine on my current TT.

Test references from www.mytyres.co.uk

Fulda CARAT EXELERO

TyreTest.com:Average of 6 completed tests

Score: 1-best 6-worst Ø1.9

Grip in dry conditions 1.5

Braking in dry condtions 1.5

Grip in wet conditions 2.5

Braking in wet condition 2.5

Grip in snow 5.3

Comfort 1.7

Tyre noise (in car) 1.3

Tyre noise (external) 1.5

Tyre wear 2.2

Kilometers driven 80.500

ADAC test: Recommendable. Quietest tire in the field. Easy weaknesses on dry and wet roadway

You can look at any of the other 81 listed tyres of 225/40 R18 Y or greater on the site itself and draw your own conclusions coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've heard bad things about the Fuldas too. Conti (assymetrical) and Bridgestone Potenzas (also Y-rated) are reported as best. Eagle F1s good but reported as shorter life and noisier with wear.

The above info relates specifically to the GTI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im glad you like the Potenza on my old/your new wheels, you questioned me , when you purchased the wheels. They are one of the best tyres available.

In regards to the thread get a price on Toyo, I have them on my 19's and they are awesome in the dry and especially in the wet!!!

[ QUOTE ]

My feeling with tyres is as follows:

They're the only thing keeping you on the road, so I buy the very best I can afford. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with you on that! So many of our customer try and put the cheapest thing posssible on their cars,until I point this out to them.

Im just under 3000 miles on my GTI and still loving it! Not bad for 5 weeks! 169144-ok.gif

Cheers fellas, i'll get a quote for the Toyo's, I've got a bit of time up my sleeve to do some shopping around. Checked with my local Tyre dealer and he swears by the Fulda Exelero's, so much so he's got them on his car, wreckons they're one of the best bang for buck tyres out there.

Another question to all those with 18". Is the gap between the body and the wheel any different from the stock 17's. Does the car look too "jacked up" or does the chassis sit nicer on the 18s? Wanna know in case I need to do some suspension mods, nothing worse than a car that looks like a van imo. NONO3.GIF

Both alloys/tyres will have the same rolling radius (to within a few mm), however the 18"'s may appear to fill the arches more as you can see a larger alloy. This is just guesswork, I haven't seen an 17/18 side by side, but it kinda makes sense.

Get some R888's on there, just don't go out in the wet 169144-ok.gif

I am thinking of getting another set of 18" wheels - Preferably light weight and equipping them with Michelin Pilot Cup Sports - once you have driven these tyres in the DRY - everything else is just a poor second place.

Not so useful when chilly or wet - that is why I want a second set...