Audi A3 MP3 CD changer fitting

I've no idea if the glovebox is the same as the older model but to cut it I just drilled a couple of holes and cut it (carefully) with a taped Hacksaw blade and then finised it off with a file - I've actually done it twice as I did it once and then the glovebox opening mechanism broke so Audi gave me a new Glovebox under warranty, the dealer offered to fit the CD changer for me but I didn't trust them to do a careful job so I did it again, I've got quite good at it now!! smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Actually they would have fitted it for free, which was a generous offer, seeing as they didn't supply or fit it in the first instance, but I didn't trust them to do it, they are not car audio fitters and whilst they had good intentions, I could not live with a job not up to my standards and they (almost certainly) wouldn't be particular enough for me but maybe that's just me being anal.

To fit it I had to cut out the back of the box (measured very carefully first to be sure that it would fit) as the 'roof' of the box is sloped but I left the RH side in place and could drill through to use fixing holes into the mounting points on the CD changer. This alone holds it solid enough as it sits on the horizontal divide but I then made a bracket for the LH side fixing screws (I used a piece of the plastic that I cut out) for extra security - but if the cutout is just right then it virtually holds it in just by being a tight fit especially as I used tape to seal all the joins, it is very solidly mounted and will not fall out. the most awkward part was neatly removing the divider in the box as this was in the way of the changer.

I would imagine your cars glovebox is similar and so fitting would be more or less the same, provided it will fit, best to check that the opening is big enough then remove the glovebox to get a good look, I can't see it being a big problem - but make SURE it will physically fit before you cut the box.....

beerchug.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All

I have an A3 2003 Sports Quattro and I am trying to fit a multi cd changer. I would like to fit an Audi changer rather and purchase a converter lead.

Could somebody inform me of where the standard changer would fit ( in glove box or boot ) if a cable is already there and which model number would be compatable.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

• 2 weeks later...