Tyre Question

djcool

When do you replace the tyres on your car? UHOH7.GIF

My front set need replacing soon, they've got ~3.0-3.5mm remaining tread. I've already bought their replacements (2x Conti SportContact 2) but not sure if I should get them done now or wait til my current PS2's are worn down to the tread indicators.

In about 6 weeks I'm off to the south of France with a mate, which will work out about 2000 miles round trip. I am then back for a week, before I'm going back down there, this time trying to keep up with a couple of performance cars. I reckon I'll cover 1000 miles between now and then.

Do I..

a) replace the tyres now?

b) replace tyres before 1st trip to france (within the next 1000 miles)

c) replace tyres before 2nd trip to france (squeeze 3000 miles out of the remaining ~2.0mm left)

Currently thinking C to get the best life out of them (I'm a tight diesel driver Flush.gif ).

Squeeze 3000 miles out of 2mm?

Keeping up with performance cars is one thing but surely most of that will be on the motorway and tyre wear will be minimal?

You could always do the first run and then see how much you have left if you're going to be driving that hard.

Legal depth is 1.6mm but I usually change when it gets to about 2-2.5mm. When it comes to shifting water, which is the whole point of tread, you lose so much capacity in that area when you get down to 2.5mm I don't think its worth it running them to the legal limit - not in Scotland anyway where rain is a regular featue

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Legal depth is 1.6mm but I usually change when it gets to about 2-2.5mm. When it comes to shifting water, which is the whole point of tread, you lose so much capacity in that area when you get down to 2.5mm I don't think its worth it running them to the legal limit - not in Scotland anyway where rain is a regular featue

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree absolutely, if it were November I'd have them off quicker than you could say Continental, but as it's the summer, fingers crossed shouldn't be too much rain in the south of France beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Put your new tyres on the back

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said. 169144-ok.gif

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats odd advice!! I put the tyres on the front if you have a powerful FWD drive car, as worn tyres on the front will ensure understeer well before new ones will. Plus, in this country with its water climate you want the tread where the power is.

But if you drive RWD then its a whole different story.

Also, need to take into account the actual wear of the tyres, if you have 1/2 life left in the tyres then you can leave the worn ones on the front, but if your down to 3mm or less, then that is too little tread for the driving wheels, and the should popped on the rear.

If your driving in such a manner as to get the rear to step out (as per the Mich web site), even on worn tyres then your diving like an idiot and shouldn't be on the road!

I know people are going to come on here and say.... "Michelin are tyre makers so they're bound to know better then you......... I put my new F1s on the rear and made the mistake of lifting off (at approx 20mph) on a r/bout 2 mins down the road from the fitters, after a 270 degree spin I came to a stop!

For me its new on the front...... grip and power should always be together!!

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I put my new F1s on the rear and made the mistake of lifting off (at approx 20mph) on a r/bout 2 mins down the road from the fitters, after a 270 degree spin I came to a stop!

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ. Recall people saying the resin takes a while to come out the Eagles, but that is lethal! EEK2.GIF

Ian

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I put my new F1s on the rear and made the mistake of lifting off (at approx 20mph) on a r/bout 2 mins down the road from the fitters, after a 270 degree spin I came to a stop!

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ. Recall people saying the resin takes a while to come out the Eagles, but that is lethal! EEK2.GIF

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Litteraly...... I'm not exaggertaing 1 bit. Popped on the tyres, out the fitter, left, left agin onto roundbaout and turned right up to about 2-25mph, lift off 1/2 way round and instant spin. Not a sound or what-not, it was like being on sheet ice.

Luckly, it was 9:00am on a Sat morning a no other cars on the road, so I just complete the full-circle and went home (2 miles away) and changed F & R over.

Too the car for a wee drive to scub them in and now the grips like a bugger!

I guess the whole 'where do I put me new tyres' things is going to be car, tyre, driver dependant. I can see the logic in the Mich advice, but with the vRS having so much torque for such a wee car, light weight roll-polly suspension, there is no question in my mind that new tyres need to be at the power delivery end of the car - it would be plain silly to put the part worn rears (which would have different wear characteristics to the fronts that have been removed) on the front.

This may very well be different for others 169144-ok.gif