Changing Plates and selling your car....?

Justhe1

As you know I pick up new new car (again) today, and with some great timimng also sold my M3 last night, I have a holding deposit, and its being picked up on Monday frown.gif

My question is I have recently taken my p/plate off it and put the orig. plate back on the car.

I went into my nearest DVLA centre to hand in my docs (inc the V51 form, Log book etc) and I have now received the new tax disk in the post, with the bottom section of my log book and a "Change of registration cert" through, but it says that it could be up to 8 weeks before the log book comes through - can I sell the car without it?!?!?!

I've never been in this situation before, as I've always had the log book back before selling, but both the buyer & I want to do the deal this Monday...

Any ideas as to where I stand, or indeed where the buyer stands if he only has the bottom part of the log book?confused.gif

Surely not everyone waits up to 6 weeks to get their log book back if on a p/plate before selling their cars...

Any help much appreciated!!

Cheers

J

I had exactly the same issue when selling my bike a few weeks ago. Honesty is the best policy and an explanation of the circumstances should set any buyer at ease, and the fact they can have the all important 'green slip' should be enough to satisfy most people. My new V5 only took about 10 days to come from Swansea then I filled in what I had to and sent it to the buyer to sign and submit to the DVLA to generate a new logbook in his name 169144-ok.gif

Ah OK, Cheers.

We went through all my doc last night when he came to view the car & I had photocopied the Log book etc so and explained the situation, so he is fully aware, but I guess is a little unsure about what to do, as am I..

Perhaps the fact that he's "only" 23 and is buying the car with his Dads money (the deposit cheque is a Coutts cheque, you'd have to being bloody well at 23 to have one of those...! )is adding to his concerns....!

J

Yes it will take two weeks at the most for the new one to come back. Signing from the buyer it is not a must do, i have bought a few cars in the past two years with full log book not being signed by any of us. Just make sure you have his address and you can fill it or he can come back and do it. 169144-ok.gif