Engine of the Year Again

Paddy_Driver

Hello All,

This may be posted elsewhere and it is referenced as a sticky article the front of TSN but having got more details, our beloved VW 2.0 FSI engine has again won engine of the year in the 1.8 to 2.0 ltr category.

Reading about the winner, the BMW 5ltr V10 - I saw comments that it is closest to an F1 engine that can be got, I hope this is that it is closest to an F1 but with the reliability of a road car engine shocked.gif I would not want to see everyone spinning behind me each time my engine blew! ala F1 engines grin.gif

Anyway, as shown again we have a great engine in the GTI jump.gif

Linky to awards

Paddy

I have to say, i'm somewhat surpised. Shoot me down, but as great as the GTI is, i find it's engine both thirsty (for an FSI) and un-charismatic (unless it's being thrashed). Mine is currently drinking the same as my old 3.2, which has left me a little gutted I have to say (apologies to all R32 owners for my mis-led rants at the start of 2006! grin.gif ) At least the 3.2 had an incredible engine note to make up for the hefty bills, something i just don't get with the 2.0T. I find it, dare i say, rather flat.

It's powerfull though and has a good torque range for a Turbo with hardly any lag. So not all bad! grin.gif

Leman - I reguarly see over 30mpg - this drops to about 28mpg after a good play...

This unit (2.0 FSi) does not have the sound of the R32 and at tickover can sound a bit, well, crap to be honest... but under load etc it sounds pretty good for a four-pot...

I only use mine for playing and get some extremes...

This was when I decided to enjoy a nice road near me, it was empty, the sun was out and well I just had to...

carlimits_02.jpg

This was on the drive home after I realised how much that fun had cost me frown.gif It was about 20 miles of A1 and country roads btw.

carlimits_01.jpg

26mpg (but real world fill ups suggests much less)

Optimax

Short bursts, but it does vary.

I can only compare like for like (1.8T - 325ci - 3.2Q - 2.0T) as my journeys haven't really changed over the years. I seem to be putting as much in my 2.0T as i did in my 3.2, easily as much.

I'm not totally surprised it's won the award. On paper it's powerful, frugal (most of them?!) and reliable. The majority of manufacturers seem to be investing their Research & development budgets into those diesel things. I read in a motoring journel only 2 weeks ago that the bubble may be bursting for diesel and in the recent couple of months the tide seems to be changing. The extra cost of diesel models and servicing costs and cost of diesel itself having an impact.

Fair play to the VW Group, they have superb diesel engines and also seem keen to progress petrol engines too. Personally I reckon manufacturers may move away from diesel and focus on smaller engines turbo'd & supercharged - just like the new VW one! 169144-ok.gif Of course I may be completely wrong! blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Stevie, whats that "^S" in top right? confused.gif either its a compass pointing you south or else it indicates "S" mode??

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh err, that's very strange shocked.gif I was pointing the same direction when I took both of those shots, completely different locations too, weird. And yeah, that's indicating south.

hmmm, I'm actually over the moon with my MPG... mines a manual and every tank so far has been over 30mpg apart from one of 28mpg but admittedly I do half motorway half town. But I'm no sister Wendy and give her some serious beans every day. The best so far is around 34.5 mpg which is what I got from a 1.6 MkIV!!! Also at tickover I think my exhaust note is fine, quite gruff. And I love all the whoosh's and whistling noises which are frequent, and the exhaust note near the read line!

heart.gifsmlove2.gif