EPC Light??? HELP!!

amanda8084

I just got a 2003 VW Jetta 2 weeks ago and when I was just pulling into my driveway 30 minutes ago I noticed the EPC light came on. Does anyone know what this light means and is it serious??? I need to drive my car right now and Im worried its a problem. I just went back out there and the light was off but Im still worried because it was on. Please help!

Was the driveway damp or slippery? The light on the dash display will come one if one of the driven wheels is slipping.

If any of the warning lights n the dash stay on for any length of time, this signifys a problem.

Do you have a proper handbook for the car? Its worth getting one if you don't as there are a lot of built in safety systems that you will need to be sure of 169144-ok.gif

No the drive way wasnt wet or slippery. I was backing it in so I didnt notice it until I went to turn the car off. I turned it off and on a few times to see if it would go away and it was still there. After 20 minutes I went out and tried again and it was off. I do not have the manual for it either. I will order one though.

OK.

From the manual P.21

ESP

the warning lamp lights up upon ignition and should go out after approx 2 seconds

The lamp flashes when the system is in operation whilst the vehicle is in motion

When the unit is switched off or if there is a fault in the system, the warning light is permanently on

As the ESP unit functions together with the ABS and EDL, the ESP warning light will come on if the ABS fails.

So, there is the possibility of a problem with the ABS braking system or the ESP system. Doesn't mean you can't drive it smile.gif

Take it steady and if the lamp illuminates again, get it into the dealers asap. 169144-ok.gif

Good luck with the interview grin.gif

EPC light?

This signfies a fault in the engine management system.

The manual recommends that the car is checked by a dealer as soon as possible. However, if it has gone out, it may just be an intermittent fault and should be OK to drive. 169144-ok.gif

I am going from memory here but I think if the light is amber you can drive it but if red it is a "do not pass go" job.

Mine lit when some air flap thing was playing up - if you have VW assistance on your car a VW tech will come out 0500 275 577 if you say you have to do a long journey & are worried etc.