Brakes failed !!!

mulkbear

Today has been a very lucky day for me !

Today after work i had to take my Uncle plus a few other family members to the airport so a quick drive from Newcastle to Tees-side airport, so i got to use his Peugeot 406 V6 estate, Nice car full leather interor and all the other refinements you would expect. When i was driving back from tees-side airport i decided to give it a bit of stick to see if was as fast as my Ford Mondingo and just i was pushing it to its limits a Chav'ed up Corsa pulls into the O/S lane doing 60 mph when there is not another car in site !! so i hit the brakes hard (in fact very hard) then the ABS cuts in and everything is OK the corsa driver pulls back into the N/S lane, the Corsa driver gets a some abuse plus a couple of hand signals and i drive on. When i get to the end of the duel carriage way i go to slow down and no BRAKES shocked.gif (very little in the way of brakes) i still have a brake pressure just no brakes (seemed like the brakes were cooked) but its OK because i have had this before and i just used the gears to slow down plus the hand brake. I pulled in at the fuel station and check the brakes, no signs of any damage or anything unusual. I drive home very carefully, got the car in the garage and checked the brakes, i have found the brake linings have come away from the pads on the front braking system !!! So i have to go and get a set of front pads and disc's for his car before he comes back from holiday ROLLEY~14.GIF

The moral of the story is that after heavy braking, test your brakes still work and don't thrash a Peugeot to its limits.

Now i am off to buy some lottery tickets as it is my lucky day. pengy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

.....I was pushing it to its limits a Chav'ed up Corsa pulls into the O/S lane.... so i hit the brakes hard (in fact very hard) then the ABS cuts in.... I have found the brake linings have come away from the pads on the front braking system !!! So i have to go and get a set of front pads and disc's for his car before he comes back from holiday ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

How fast were you going!! yelrotflmao.gif

Ian

My first car was a Mk1 MG Midget ( It was 10 years old at the time) driving home one day I pressed the brake pedal -NOTHINGdung.gifdung.gif. Turns out the front nearside brake pipe had corroded through. Managed to limp home on the handbrake!! Young and stupid. Probably in retrospect one of the scariest things that ever happened to me.

A couple of years ago my wife rang me at work and said there was a grating noise from the car. I told he not to drive it, When I go home I found the 'cheap' (only ones available at the time) brake pads I'd fitted 6 months earlier had delaminated and we now had metal to metal contact.

Moral: don't mess with the brakes, cheap ain't worth it.

[ QUOTE ]

600 - 465 = 70 MPH

[/ QUOTE ]

About crusing speed for the creamy 3.0 V6! Surely it would have gone quicker if the Corsa had not tried to wipe you out? Not been in a facelifted V6 estate, but a prefacelift V6 saloon did impress me a few years back. Such stealth!

Ian

Peugeots are feckin death traps. Pure and simple. Old mate of mine is a service manager at a Peugeot dealership. They've had alot of 307's back with collapsed front callipers. Peugeot know very well it's a problem, but rather than take responsibility they get the dealers to try and claim it's a wear & tear item and thus not covered under warranty. NONO3.GIF

Many years ago, my Dad and I were bleeding the brakes on his old Rambler - him underneath the car with rubber tube and glass jar, me in the driver's seat, pressing the pedal.

He had just finished one wheel and tightened up the nipple, when I decided to try all my weight on the pedal - whereupon my Dad complained about liquid running down his neck - yep, I'd managed to split one of the metal lines! Still, it was better to do it in the garage, rather than out on the road!