Need advice on warning light

Cartman

Hi all,

Yesterday a warning light illuminated on my speedo - it's the one that looks like an engine and it's amber. The manual says it's the exhaust emissions/lamda sensor warning. The car is running completely normally and there are no other indications of a fault. My question is can i use the car for the time being. I can't make it to a dealer until Thursday (Working night shifts frown.gif), I will cover about 300 miles until then. Also what is it likely to be (and how much)?

Feel free to slate me if this is a dupe post - I did search but couldn't find anything! smashfreakB.gif

Any advice from technical experts on here would be very much appreciated. I hope it's not serious - I'll be wishing I stuck with my old faithful mkIII 2.0 8V!!

Is it something my local garage can solve or is it a dealer computer diagnostic job?

VW Golf 1.8T 20V 52 plate 31500m main dealer service at 30000 - very shiney solid black 169144-ok.gif

You should be Ok to use it, but don't be thrashing it around. If the light starts flashing, turn off the engine and get it to the dealers.

Do you have breakdown cover just in case in needs to put on a flat bed?

Take it easy the next few days 169144-ok.gif

How long have you got? grin.gif

If the car seems to be driving OK, I doubt if it is really serious. I had this problem with the light coming on at random intervals, turned out to be a poor earth connection smashfreakB.gif

The dealer will just plug it into the diagnostics and that will bring up the list of fault codes 169144-ok.gif

I've had that light come on before...it could be anything mate...is the car driving and runnning ok? any misfiring? etc? if not it should be ok...

but you will need to get the fault codes read...if you know someone who has a vagcom then get the read out...saves you some money payin a dealer... I replace my coolent temp sensor which caused the light to come on.

cheers

169144-ok.gif

That's good to know. I'm taking it to my local garage tomorrow morning after work. They're really good and have a VAGCOM luckily enough. I'm just getting the fault codes though just to see what the problem is. Need the car until Thursday when I'll leave it to get sorted. It's running perfectly normally so hopefully not an expensive thing. Just had 2 new tyres, new rear pads and an air-con service last week at that garage so hopefully the diagnostic check will be free if I get the work done there again. I'll advise the fault codes tomorrow night.

If its anything like mine it wont be to horendouse. Mine kept telling me it was running lean but was talking bollox as the sensor was nackered. It also came on when the maf went so it could be that as well. If its the lamda probe it could be expensive depending on were you go. I was quoted at my stealers £300inc labour. it should not be that much as my stealers are rip off merchants.

hope its nothing 169144-ok.gif

Took it to my local garage this morning. It is a faulty coolant temperature sensor! Result! They did the diagnosis free and then explained how to replace it myself. Great guys! My guage in the dash was reading 90 degrees and the VAGCOM said it was 79 degrees, hence the warning. The chap reset the ECU so the warning lamp has gone! I'll change the sensor later this week. (I'm about a 2/5 spanner man in Haynes manuals!). I take it it's a straightforward job - sounded like it.

Thanks people for all your input. Appreciate it.

aye, same prob with mine last month, temp sensor approx £25 notes and very easy to fit (make sure ur engine water is preff cold tho when fitting!), the mpg improves as did engine performance and stalling,stuttering and idling ect.

• 3 years later...

Just had my warning light come up tonight. Had a look through some of the forums and mentioned was switching the fuel from super to 95 which is wot I did today so who knows........

Am down the stealers tomorrow to get it checked so will let you know, good luck.