Which Oil

R32HAZ

I'm sure you've been asked before but could you advise on which oil I need for my R32 for top-ups between services. I notice Castrol advice from VW. I have no mechanical experience at all so you're help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Harry

i used to used mobile 1 which i changed every 2-3000 miles. but now i'm running a SC i use Sinta Gold from Quantum which gets changed every 2 - 2.5K miles. i would never dream of leaving any oil in the car for up to 10,000 miles....its a no...no for me......regular oil changes is the best you can do for any engine........

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you've been asked before but could you advise on which oil I need for my R32 for top-ups between services. I notice Castrol advice from VW. I have no mechanical experience at all so you're help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Harry

[/ QUOTE ]

Mk4 R32 is filled with Castrol SLX2 from the factory, so common sense says use this oil only..

But recently Castrol SLX2 has been discontinued, and is now been replaced by Castrol Edge 5W-30.

A litre of this new stuff costs anything from £12-15 depending where u go.

If ur car is running with SLX2, it is perfectly safe to top up using Castrol Egde 5w-30.

Quantum Synta Gold isn't strictly speaking compatable for topping up with Castrol, although u won't be doing major harm if u did so, U'd just be decreasing the 'long life' service life of the oil already in the car.

Now that my car is out of warrenty I have started using Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40, which has elimated cold start tappet noises which I have always always had since the car's been brand new.. Makes me wonder how comes the noise has always been there since using Castol SLx2

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna use Castol Edge 5W-30 for top ups for now. The car is used for low mileage - so i'm gonna get an oil and filter change at 1000 miles.

The dealer has recomended "Quantum", I assume he means the Synta Gold, then change yearly (around 5k miles per year).

Does this sound OK or would you suggest something else.

Its the wives car who does low miles - short trips, but I drive it a weekends and theres no other way of putting but "thrash it" - only once warm ofcourse for at least 15mins in centre of gauge.

Cheers, Harry