Hi,

I'm having a problem with FM Radio Channels at the minute. I have just installed an RNS-E but it did this on the Symphony-II the car had before. When I first got the car I had no problems at all but now I can barely get a signal even on Radio 1/2 and if I can get an FM station it is very crackaly and faint. MW and LW work fine. I've read that some VW/Audi cars require a booster and I'd say fair enough if it had been like it all the time but it used to work fine. I've also double checked all the connections on both the Symphony and RNS-E when I put it in and both the FM and Diversity antennas are connected.

Apart from that, the RNS-E unit is fantastic and would definately recommend upgrading it. smile.gif

Yup. It was doing the same on the Symphony-II though which was in the car when I brought it. It was fine but it has only started doing it recently. Is there anything in the glovebox that could have been knocked when I removed it? ( I had it out a while ago to install a Parrot but didn't bother in the end. The radio and glovebox all came out though). shocked.gif

Thinking about it, on the odd occasion it does work, if you go over quite a harsh bump in the road it knocks it out then.

Would it be worth me checking the Antenna Amps in the boot to see if anything has become disconnected?

I don't think it will be a dodgy connection as I took the plug off and then plugged in back in on the Symphony. I also installed the RNS-E. Diversity antenna was put in the adaptor and it has the Fakra connector on now so is quite tight.

[ QUOTE ]

Having upgraded out countless Concert/Symphony's to RNS-E I can't say anyone has had a problem with FM reception afterwards. Do you have the correct antenna adaptor?

Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Not strictly true. I did have some issues with my radio reception which needed some investigations when i had my BT kit installed.

I still get poor FM reception where i live, but on the whole its not too bad. I put it down to locale, rather than an aerial issue now.

[ QUOTE ]

Diversity antenna was put in the adaptor and it has the Fakra connector on now so is quite tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I installed my SatNav (Golf IV) the adaptor was no good (alluminium tube type thing) I changed it for one from blue spot (fly lead type) & the FM is perfect now so if you are using the "cigar" adaptor this may be worth a try ?

kufafar04.jpg

That's the adapter that's being used. I'm not in a poor area as it used to be fine. You could pick up Radio 1/2 absolutely anywhere and the local station I listen to would work nearly all the way to work apart from the last odd mile. Now, Radio 1&2 barely work if at all and I lose the local station within about 3miles of leaving home.

[ QUOTE ]

Would it be worth me checking the Antenna Amps in the boot to see if anything has become disconnected?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly, but you seem to be suggesting that the reception went bad after you had removed the Symphony HU and the glove box when investigating the installation of a phone kit. This makes me think that the problem is more likely to be at the HU end.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you have access to VAG COM, it may tell you if there are any faults on the antennas. Your looking for faults on module 56 with the HF circuit.

Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

No access to VAG-COM unfortunately. confused.gif Where are the boosters and I'll have a look to see if I can see anything.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly, but you seem to be suggesting that the reception went bad after you had removed the Symphony HU and the glove box when investigating the installation of a phone kit. This makes me think that the problem is more likely to be at the HU end.

[/ QUOTE ]

It definately happened before the RNS-E was even being thought of. I'm sure it happened maybe while I was looking at installing the phone kit but I cannot be sure. Suppose there is a chance a wire could of got trapped? smashfreakB.gif