[Audi A3/S3] audi s3

hus99

iv got an s3 210bhp, it allready has a forge dv, and im not getting a "whoosh" sound as i wanted, can anyyone tell me what i can do to achieve this, also what airbox should i put on my car as i am hearing all sorts of differebn=nt suggestions. cheers

The Audi S3 is not designed to make a "whoosh" sound on throttle lift-off.

The discharged air that would normally produce the "Waaahhhh-Tssssccchhh" style sound in a turbo'd chav car, is re-circulated back into the S3's engine through a closed loop system which is why you've got no "Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh-Tssssscccccchhhhhhhh!!!!"

The air is pre-metered on induction via the MAF sensor, so if your do fit an atmospheric dump valve, you'll be messing up the air/fuel ratio mixture and running the car rich.

ECLIPSe.gif "Waaaaaaahhhhh-Tssssscccccchhhhh!!!"

The standard airbox is actually pretty good, changing it out won't give much power unfortunately. What you can do though is stick on a cold-air induction induction kit, which seems to amplify everything nicely.

My car makes a great noise, not chavvy but a well sorted sound.

One thing though, if you're running standard boost (no remap) then there won't be as much air being fed through the DV.

another keep the standard air box and filter here. Replace the standard air filter every 10K miles. 169144-ok.gif

you got next to no chance getting a cold air feed into the engine bay anyway as the twin IC's block the route.

If you went for a front mount IC then it would free up some room.

Atmospheric DV whoosh noises sound crap and chavish. They also can hamper perfomance

As mentioned the car knows what air is in the system, its measured in by the MAF sensor. so to dump it to make a Whoosh, sods up the fuel calculations.

Also where they have been used , they tend to need moving else where in the engine bay, and cutting into other IC hoses.

Not a tidy job, and gives you more joints that can leak away your boost.

why do they hamper performance?

a. they can sod up fueling calculations already mentioned.

b. the recircualting Diverver Valves, redirect excess boost back into the turbo intake on gear change.

So as your foot is on the clutch, and off the gas, throttle is closed. excess boost is sent back to the turbo, and keeps it spinning.

So less lag to wait for it to spin up again. Back on the power, and back into boost without having to wait.

Dump valve and whoosh is pointless.

Diverter valve is actually helping performance, and making the car smoother, and if anything, more responsive.

[ QUOTE ]

the tt shop in bedford , quite easy to fit but trouble finding space to put air feed , costly at 220 pounds though, but easily the best for audi s3 as they dont heat up under that bonnet

[/ QUOTE ]

S3's do heat up under the bonnet!

and even more so when modded. It can get pretty hostile under there!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

the tt shop in bedford , quite easy to fit but trouble finding space to put air feed , costly at 220 pounds though, but easily the best for audi s3 as they dont heat up under that bonnet

[/ QUOTE ]

S3's do heat up under the bonnet!

and even more so when modded. It can get pretty hostile under there!

[/ QUOTE ]Yup and if you take it out for a good run... come back home.... and then open the bonnet in the dark...you may see the turbo "red hot" glowing... shocked.gifsekret.gif

Riz 169144-ok.gif

really, i didnt see that, il tell u what iv noticed with the change, at low revs it seems some what sluggish but as you open up and the turbo kicks in a more proggresive and smooother acceleration is felt , gives a nice noise, recommended, if your goin to change the box dont use no other, u might aswell keep the standard one unless u use the bmc.

[ QUOTE ]

thanks everyone, since this i have fitted a BMC cda in and it feels and sounds great, not too boy racer style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good sound huh? First time I heard it I didn't realise it was coming from my car!!!!

Not sure how you got on with the pipe, but there's two options:

1. A short pipe to cover the original snorkle.

2. Run a longer pipe down beside the battery to behind the headlight.