What tipe of tyres on 4.2 Q and TIPTRONIC

BOSKO

Hellow!

Can somebody please give me some usefull pointers which tyres I should put on A8 4.2 quattro. I'll buy my Audi untill end of summer and I don't want any surprises when I buy it. I must prepare my budget smile.gif

So what should I put on? (Good Year Eagle F1, Dunlop SP MAX...) I'll probably put on 19"s.

I have another question for someone who ownes tiptronic gearbox. I've never driven an automatic or tiptronic...Can someone please explain me what do those 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear means and in which gear do I drive if I want to get out the most POWER or for economical drive...?

TNX for all your help beerchug.gif

post-14219-137914358485_thumb.jpg

I'm using 245/40 19 Pirelli P zero's saved someones life once and boy was I glad.

Just stick the shifter into D and the car will do the rest, 2,3 and 4 are realy if your on a gradient and you select the gear that gives the best torque to climb it. Tiptronic at any time move the shifter into the shorter gate and it becomes a sequensial forward to shift up and backwards to shift down 169144-ok.gif

I've had Pirelli P zeros also and found them to be excellent. However I've just had some Avons fitted and they are a big suprise. Roadholding and grip seem to be the same, but noise ride and lack of road steer is fabulous! They were a good price as well.

Double bonus.

Tyres: I'm currently running Michelin Pilot SPort SP2's as these were my recal freebies smile.gif

Gears: Can't speak for all, however, i have tended to use the tip-mode to hold it in 2,3 or 4 if i want controlled decent on a hill, or to stop it hunting when i'm traversing the hills around malvern (where i live). Nothing worse than taking a tight hairpin and flooring it out only to have to wait for the gearbox to catch up.

Tiptronic. Use when pressing on along a twisty back road.

4,3,2 1. Idea is to use when on steep descent. Never had that with mine. I only ever use 4 on when I'm running cruise control on a particularly steep section of fast motorway/dual carriageway to stop the auto box hunting between 4 and 5 in full auto mode.

As above. Stick it in D and you cant go wrong.

I have used Avon ZZ3s and Dunlop SP9000s. The Avons are slightly cheaper and give a better ride with reduced noise; the Dunlops were, I believe, the original fitment the cars were supplied with when new.

Selecting 2, 3 or 4 sets the highest gear the gearbox can use, e.g. selecting 3 will allow the box to use 1, 2 & 3 but not 4 or 5. Occasionally useful for climbing & descending hills, max speed runs (select 4) or perhaps when towing when 4 would prevent the box from hunting between 4 & 5. I've never used them, instead going straight into Tiptronic mode for full control.

Do check your local supplier though - my local Just Tyres was able to undercut MyTyres' price for a pair of Avon ZZ3s. Unlike the monkeys in blue overalls whose employer's name is misspelt, I have always found JT willing to negotiate.

I've used:

The crap tyres that came with the car... began with an 'M'

Eagle F1s - Brilliant

Continental Sport Contact 2 - Not as good as I expected

Pirelli P Zeros - much better than I expected.

I will go Eagle F1s next time (if they do 20's).... I think?!

[ QUOTE ]

I've used:

The crap tyres that came with the car... began with an 'M'

Eagle F1s - Brilliant

Continental Sport Contact 2 - Not as good as I expected

Pirelli P Zeros - much better than I expected.

I will go Eagle F1s next time (if they do 20's).... I think?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got these, why are the others better? Curious, as I've nothing to compare them with

I run Cooper/Avon Zeons in a 245/40 20R fitting, and they're fabulous. I had some cheaper tyres on there when i bought the rims, but these shredded after about 7k miles, I've had the Avons on now for 17k miles and there's still plenty of tread on them......even after a stint around the track FIREdevil.gif

I had Contis 2s on another car once upon a time, it made it grip like a limpet! But on the QSport the grip and 'seat of the pants feeling' didn't feel as strong as with the Eagle F1s.

As for the S8 and the P Zeros they are fine. Only physics is my enemy now!!

Also, I don't know how many Avus silver and RED special 'pimp' editions were made, sorry. frown.gif