Sat nav just a few questions?!

joffan

I have a 55 plate GTI with CD based sat-nav factory fitted,with sharkfin.

I am thinking about changing it for a DVD based one.

Will it be a straight swop?

Will I be able to get a Manual for the DVD version?

Where's the cheapest place to buy a disc?

Thanks in advance guys.

The original CD based one will be up for sale if I do this so if anyones interested,let me know I've also got a spare sharkfin.

beerchug.gif

Take this advice with a pinch of salt as I've never done it myself, but most people seem to think that the sat nav slots in quite easily from scratch, so as you'd already have the GPS sensor fitted then it should be a piece of cake smile.gif

Try teleatlas or Navteq for the disc, think they're mid-£100's iirc. Be a bit careful though, as my disc isn't TMC enabled in the UK. It's a small feature, but basically takes traffic information anaylsed by the blue/green cameras you see on the side of main roads and then broascasts it via Classic FM (in the UK). This then warns you of congestion and will automatically reroute you. The Golf has the TMC sensor installed, but you have to but the more expensive disc to activate it. Also be aware that the new discs tend to come out around this time of year, so make sure that you get the new one 169144-ok.gif

I believe the unit will be a straight swopm, although there may be some issues around the radio aerial. the reason why is quite longwinded, and was discussed at length on the ukmkivs forum, with myself included. I dont believe you can link to specific thread on uvmkis, but the url is http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/

and the thread is in the mk5 section, performance and technical, interior forum. It is entitled MFD2 CD Version. If you read that, you will see that you may end with two radio diversity modules; i dont know if this will be an issue, or the tags/connecters will be different. It may be fine, but worth a check

Steve

I agree the CD-Rom based Sat Nav is pants, doubly so when they don't even give you a TMC disc with the 26k car!! I still after 16 months of ownership have not managed to work out how to zoom in on the bloomin map so i can actually see the road I'm on, maybe I will finally have to give in a read the manual!!