A8 MPG ?

Dadstoys

I have a 2.8Q Sport on an 03 plate with 35K on the clock. I don't do much motorway driving so tend to get 19 - 20 MPG around town. Eventhough its aluminium its still a heavy car for the engine. To be honest I wish I had gone for the larger engined A8 as theres hardly any difference in the MPG but a huge difference in performance.

I drove from Cheltenham to Gatwick and then back last Sunday and returned 25MPG. When I got back to Cheltenham I wanted to turn around and do the journey again - its a joy to drive.

I get 24-26mpg out of my 4.2 in mixed driving, closer to 30mpg if cruising at 80 on the motorway. If your driving style is similar to mine I'd expect the 2.8 to better my figures by 2mpg. But you really want the 4.2 FIREdevil.gif169144-ok.gif

@BumpRT: Are you back in the '8 (or did you never leave it)?

I have a 2001 model 2.8 Sport (2 x 4) with 44k miles and live in the Northamptonshire countryside, which gives me a mix of lanes, trunk roads and M1 & M40 motorway driving.

I last set the computer about 1500 miles back and have done mostly trunk roads since; the computer shows 28.6 presently on average setting.

Some weeks ago I did check an M1 run up to Leeds and averaged 34.7 for the day, including 6 miles in the lanes to begin and end the day.

Down to Cardiff every couple of months via M40, M42, M5, and A40 etc consistently gives around 32mpg

I tend to stick the cruise on at 75-80 nowadays as I got all the silly stuff out my system over 10 years ago when I had Sierra Cosworths and a Lotus Carlton. Interestingly enough, my LC which had a special exhaust system without catalytic convertors and showed 427bhp on the dyno (plus flames out the twin 3" tailpipes) and regularly averaged around 19-20 with a complete mix of driving. I have to admit to dicing with a German twerp in his 928S one morning from Paris centre to Calais dock and doing 199 miles in 1hr 25mins early on a Sunday and then the fuel really did go down in fact using a whole tank full which I seem to remember was about 14mpg! He arrived at the dock 10 minutes after I got there and said he had no possibility to stay with me.

So mpg is entirely all down to the right foot and I was talking to a guy I happened across in Banbury a few weeks ago with a 2002 D2 2.8 Q who said he averages around 25-26.

ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Just got 13mpg in a 3.0Tdi long wheel base on a ten mile cross country route.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have been slaughtering it, Mines "chipped" to 281BHP and hard driving drops me to 28MPG!!!!!!!!!!!! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Back up to 26/27 mpg on more normal use - its the Sport setting on the gearbox that kills the economy I reckon.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Just got 13mpg in a 3.0Tdi long wheel base on a ten mile cross country route.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have been slaughtering it, Mines "chipped" to 281BHP and hard driving drops me to 28MPG!!!!!!!!!!!! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Back up to 26/27 mpg on more normal use - its the Sport setting on the gearbox that kills the economy I reckon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right, but you dont need to use that setting, reving to just under the limit say 3900RPM and changing up gives better quicker performance, especially when chipped. I am ordering the 4.2TDI sport for september and will be "chipping that to 380BHP/750NM so that should go sum. 169144-ok.giflol.gif

Will22

My daily commute is 120 miles roundtrip, of which approx 90 is motorways (M5,M42,M40). The times i travel, the M5 and M40 are usually quite clear so i can boot it and steady cruise at 90.

The remaining commuting miles are A roads, B roads and single-tracks, so this tends to kill the consumption.

Most of my leisure miles are also on a motorway (sad, i know) or dual-carriageways, as i do the Worcester-to-Reading run very regularly.

I did a trip to london and back yesterday, appauling conditions on the M6 & M1 combined with road works, so a lot of stop start driving and some booting it well in excess of the national when possible.

18.7 mpg from the W12.

Suppose I could do better if it weren't for the rain and road works and my heavy right foot.

@Will22: Will, have you had your spark plugs changed in the last couple of years? Dad reported a useful improvement in economy on his S8 after the dealer fitted new plugs.

Update - I've just spotted that you've got 20" wheels on your car. They'll hurt the economy compared to 18s (but they do look good!).

• 1 month later...