TDI 130 Passat wheres the mpg gone :(

tappers

I have a 2001 Passat 1.9TDi 130, it has about 93 - 94K on it.

Recently I have noticed that I can only get around 270 or a bit less out of half a tank and the MPG on the computer is around 32, I am sure it was better than this!!

It is an auto/tip by the way!

I spoke to shark_90 who has his lovely 1.8T quattro and his was close if not better than mine on mpg! should I consider changing to one?? EEK2.GIF

Is there anything it could obviously be other than heavy right foot which I am sure it is not!! smashfreakB.gif

that does not sound good at all...I have a Passat (45K on the clock) 1.8T 20V sport which is a Tiptronic and I can do over 35mpg every time.

Sounds daft but are you carrying stuff in the boot?

when was the car last serviced?

do you boot it everytime you launch off the lights and on the motorway?

[ QUOTE ]

I have a 2001 Passat 1.9TDi 130, it has about 93 - 94K on it.

Recently I have noticed that I can only get around 270 or a bit less out of half a tank and the MPG on the computer is around 32, I am sure it was better than this!!

It is an auto/tip by the way!

I spoke to shark_90 who has his lovely 1.8T quattro and his was close if not better than mine on mpg! should I consider changing to one?? EEK2.GIF

Is there anything it could obviously be other than heavy right foot which I am sure it is not!! smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

270 miles for half a tank, 540 to a full tank, what's so bad about that??

How many miles should you be getting from a full tank then?

Auto/Tip boxes always drink more than a manual box will. 169144-ok.gif

tyres seem ok, maybe it is down to the change in alloys from 15" standard to 18"???

I do carry some stuff in the boot, but the fuel consumption seems to have got worse but I have not changed what I carry in the boot for years!

I would't have said that I was that heavy off the lights!! sometimes but not that often!!

Alexc, I know where you are coming from, but this is something that has only happened recently that it has got worse! I used to be able to easily get over 300 miles out of the first half of tank but now lucky to get 270 frown.gif

Also it is not a case of 270 for half and 540 for full as the last half of the tank goes much faster than the first!

I understand, I was just giving an approximate estimate, best thing to do is monitor it for two or three tankfuls and see what happens, I think the wheel size change also has something to do with it as bigger wheels do affect your acceleration, therefore, you're probably applying more boost to get the same feel as you did with the smaller wheels.

If you did a 1/4 mile sprint with both sets of wheels you'd notice a difference in the times! 169144-ok.gif

The rolling daimeter should be similar though as the bigger wheels have rubber band tyres. Shouldn't make a huge difference if the tyre/wheel combination is matched properly.

I have an 83k mile 130/tip which gives about 32-34 average with mostly town driving. On the motorway it'll pop along showing 50mpg.

Getting it remapped on Thursday... jump.gif

The mileage drop is down to the bigger wheels! What you've done is moved the weight of the wheel further towards the outside diameter and this increases the amount of power / torque needed to turn the wheels. It's got nothing to do with the overall size of the wheel / tyre combination provided you sized them properly as the actual diameter should be unchanged and the speedo will be reading as it should.

[ QUOTE ]

The rolling daimeter should be similar though as the bigger wheels have rubber band tyres. Shouldn't make a huge difference if the tyre/wheel combination is matched properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're only moving up an inch then that might be the case, but if you're going from a 15" wheel to an 18" wheel, despite having lower profile rubber there will still be a difference. 169144-ok.gif

It doesn't sound too bad to me. My A4 tdi130 is returning 550-600 miles to a full tank. I noticed the economy dropped when i put the 18 inch alloys on - something to keep in mind.

if i drive like miss daisy, i may get 650-700 out of a tank but never more than that.

the circumference on an average 15" wheel is 1.77m and if we use 1.89m as an approximate circ for an 18" wheel then there is a difference, which over a few thousand revolutions will affect your consumption, also weight is a consideration as you've mentioned. grin.gif

I was wondering on the side of the wheels!

When they were fitted they put the old ones up against them and there is very little in it given that the 18's are lower profile and with the aid of road angel the speedo has barely changed.

I think I will see how it goes over a couple of tank fulls and take it from there!!

I think I have to go to the garage anyway as there is a funny noise when braking anyway!! frown.gif:(

[ QUOTE ]

shark_90 whats the excat model and spec of your motor? just out of interest pls.

cheers 169144-ok.gif

P

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate, my car is:

A4 (B6) 1.8T GmbH quattro Sport

AmD remap, last RR'd at 218bhp

Milltek cat back exhaust

K&N Panel filter

Hyperboost DV

RS4 22mm rear ARB

Buffalino Black Leather

Cruise