[Audi A3/S3] Torque curves

mtl

One of the only mechanical mods I think I'm likely to do to my 2002 S3 is a remap, but I'm concerned that a peaky torque curve will make it feel like a 1995 Renault 5 Turbo - lagged and with a vicious powerband starting at 3K rpm...

Does anyone out there have any RR torque plots showing pre- and post-remap performance? I know some of the more reputable tuners out there will sometimes give examples on their websites, but I'd rather hear it from the owners.

Also, can people describe how a gentle remap (from 225 to 265 bhp or thereabouts) changes the way the car drives?

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

Mark

Here's my "after" torque curve (sorry don't have one of the before) 307.3 lb @ 3378 rpm.

Torque_power_graph.sized.jpg

Mine is chipped by MTM. You're right there is a peaky curve where the turbo kicks in with a bang with my particular re-map.

It really does pickup and go around the 3500 rpm. Gives you that "push back in the seat" feeling which is what I was after.

Some of the other companies re-maps are more gentle in delivering the boost. More of a standard consistant curve that delivers the power more evenly over a wider rev range.

It all depends what the indvidual is after from an increase. Regardless of which map you are destined to choose, it's definately worth the money. Totally transforms the car to what it should've been out of the factory.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for that - looks like you went for the 300 bhp remap, given the increase in torque. Nice grin.gif

I've had a look around and it seems that Oettinger remaps tend to give a generally smoother (OEM-like I suppose) power delivery, which is what I'm after. I'm therefore considering their 250 bhp remap.

Thanks for your advice, it's good to hear that a remap is worth it!