Going through A LOT of coolant...

Guys, i'm taking the car into service tomorrow but i thought i'd ask incase anyone else has had the same issue - so i can tell them what i think is up...

Collected car Friday, within a day the coolant warning came on, i topped it up with water, now only about 50km after that it's almost empty again.

any ideas ...? i hope it's something simple and easy to fix frown.gif i don't want to be without her for long!

cheers for the reply, as it turns out ... the "auxilary water pump" has a small crack which would just be an unfortunate flaw before and after install on the car. They don't have the part in stock and have told me up to 10 days before they'll get it (they suggested 4-5 days would be more likely) offered me a standard golf as a replacement or i simply top up with water every day .... i'm sure you can guess which option i went for. 169144-ok.gif

on another note, was in an undercover parking lot this evening, put the windows down and gave it some ... the sound of this thing at around 4000 revs!!!! shocked.gif i can't wait to reallllllyyyy put my foot down. jump.gif

Hope it is fixed ASAP! Couldn't think of anything worse than having to wait that long for the car and then a fault makes you had to wait even longer. At least you still have use of the car.

Aussie, how long did it take for you to get the car delivered from it's construction date. My car was built a week ago and is sitting in South Africa waiting to be shipped out. Dealer said they would give me a call within the week to tell me the shipping details once they find out. Very exciting times.

ha congrats!! umm i believe mine was finished final week in march and then i collected at the dealer 19th may, although it was on shore 1st may. (it goes through checks, customs etc etc before it gets to the dealer) the boat ride is approx. 22 days and i believe there are 2 each month. Good luck!! not long now!

I am just curious as to how people in Australia have tracked their cars through production and then from production through to delivery? It may be the same in other countries, but is there a website where I could enter the VIN# or do I need to ring VW Australia directly?

If i have the VIN #, does that mean the car is made, or in the build process?

Aussie, would love to see some pic's and was your iPod kit installed by VW? My dealer didnt know about the iPod kit!

no i actually found out from my dealer that the car was due to be built last week in march and then i just went to the shipping site and checked schedules and found that there was a ship leaving about 2 weeks after that so assumed it'd be on that.

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/725329/page/0/fpart/8/vc/1

haven't got the ipod kit yet ! expecting delivery of it from a VW dealer who sells parts on ebay anyday now. (same goes for the monster mats hehe)

GtiVeeDubber there is a site where you can track it and this is it:

http://mk5gti.blogspot.com/2005/08/are-you-waiting-for-your-car-would-you.html

Jst follow the instructions and put the Vin nos in small caps. Our Vin # model will look something like this:

WVWZZZ1KZ6UXXXXXX

The 6 Xs represent the body number, the 10th digit, nos "6" represents the build year. Looks like yours and mine will be on the same ship, mine was built on the 22/5.

169144-ok.gif

That's apparently the same day mine was made!

Toti, did you do a cargo search on your car, and if so did you get a result?

I am never sure about the information my dealer gives me because he doesn't seem to have too much of a clue about specific details and I always get contradictory information from VW Australia and other dealers at the same dealership. I'll give VW Australia a call tomorrow and see what's happening.

No, not yet. But apparently it doesn't get updated till it's well and truly on the way.

As far as I can tell there are two ships that our cars might be on. The first left Port Elizabeth on the 25th of May. The next leaves Port Elizabeth on the 7th of June. Transit time is about 20 days and then about 7-10 at Patrick's Autocare. From there to the Dealer for PDI. So looking at anywhere between 4-6 weeks. Can't wait!! Except Im heading off to Europe on the 13 of July for six weeks!! I might not get it till I get back! Absolute torture! sportifs2.gif

When I last spoke to my dealer on Friday, he said it was at Port Elizabeth so it must have missed out on the ship by a day or 2.

That site is amazing. Once i know it's on that boat I can track it everywhere!

May I ask how you managed to order 18's, and if you dont mind how much they cost?

Almost the same Red! Except that throbbin Miltek Exhaust of yours! Maybe one day.

GtiVeeDubber the 18s were pure luck and if it wasn't for this website, I never would have gotten my mits on them.

Thanx to OzGti for the tip.

There were four 18 Monzas (detroit) rims sitting in the VW Sydney Head Office gathering dust. Can you believe they were there for months!!!!

I called my dealer and got him to bargain a price for me and do a deal for the 18s with tyres in exchange for my 17s. The best he could do was $2450au. It's still pricey and a bit of a rip but much better than buying them outright which is about $4500 with tyres.