Current A8: How much more tied down is the Sport?

Merlot

I've been driving an A8L 3.0Tdi in dynamic mode but whilst it corners pretty hard its not tied down as much as my S4 (I know I shouldn't expect it to be) but would it be a lot better if I got a Sport model?

If I bought one I would buy a bigger engine (petrol or diesel) and get a SWB if that helps.

The first W12 I drove was an LWB with standard suspension, and coming from the RS 6 it felt far too wallowy and loose; I would not have bought one.

Luckily, I got a test drive in an SWB W12 as well (sport suspension standard), and it was a revelation - softer than the RS 6 in both comfort and dynamic mode and equally flat under power round corners.

Since then, I've driven an SWB 3.0 TDI with sport suspension, and it was great (lower nose weight than the W12, so felt very responsive) and an SWB 4.2 TDI with standard suspension, which I only really liked in dynamic mode once it had auto-lowered; the comfort mode sloshed around so much I started feeling a bit sea-sick!

I couldn't imagine me ever having an A8 with standard suspension because the sport is good enough in comfort on all but the very worst of road surfaces.

You really need to drive an SWB with sport suspension, they are so different to the LWB or the SWB with standard suspension.

Thanks Chris. I think you know the direction I am coming from.

Various dealers will do 4.2 petrol FSI or diesel Sports' with reasonable specs for £50/52k which is very tempting.

I know that Sport dampers were available on much of the range as an option (standard on your car) but few people seem to have put them on 4.2 petrols which makes the 18 month old cars at £32k and the three year old ones at £25k , which intially look great, less attractive.

Must add that the 3.0Tdi in the sport gearbox setting was a great box - not kicking down unnecessarily - and much more impressive that the Q7 3.0Tdi I drove recently.

[ QUOTE ]

So even with Sports dampers are the MMI settings the same - lift, comfort, auto, dynamic - but just harder? If so, how do I check if a used car has them?

[/ QUOTE ]

The MMI 'Car' screen will say something like "Air suspension - Sport" if it's got sport suspension. Yes, the four modes are there, Lift, comfort, automatic & dynamic. The main stated difference is a 20mm lower stance when not auto-lowered, but I'm convinced the adaptive damping rate is improved as well, and both roll and pitch are actively negated.

The 4.2 is a nice engine in an SW with sport; handles well, has decent performance and is fairly quiet until you boot it and get that V8 rumble. The 3.0D is a slightly heavier engine IIRC, with the lower block cast from vermicular iron rather than alloy like the 4.2, so the handling isn't quite as light up front, and it's slightly noisier and slower, but the economy is great compared to the 4.2 petrol, which can drink a bit if you have a heavy foot.

Horses for courses, all the engines have their own unique aspects that make them more suitable than the others in some circumstances, but in my mind, the SWB/LWB and standard/sport questions have only one answer: SWB and sport.

The SWBs 13cm shorter exhausts mean they sound nicer than the LWBs too!

[ QUOTE ]

The first W12 I drove was an LWB with standard suspension, and coming from the RS 6 it felt far too wallowy and loose; I would not have bought one.

Luckily, I got a test drive in an SWB W12 as well (sport suspension standard), and it was a revelation - softer than the RS 6 in both comfort and dynamic mode and equally flat under power round corners.

Since then, I've driven an SWB 3.0 TDI with sport suspension, and it was great (lower nose weight than the W12, so felt very responsive) and an SWB 4.2 TDI with standard suspension, which I only really liked in dynamic mode once it had auto-lowered; the comfort mode sloshed around so much I started feeling a bit sea-sick!

I couldn't imagine me ever having an A8 with standard suspension because the sport is good enough in comfort on all but the very worst of road surfaces.

You really need to drive an SWB with sport suspension, they are so different to the LWB or the SWB with standard suspension.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi criss i have now changed my order for the 4.2TDI too SPORT MODEL, I hope it wont be too hard what do U think. 169144-ok.gif

Having only driven a 'normal' D3 I have no experience (other than a short passenger ride) of the sports suspension.

That said, I'm surprised that the sport suspension is worth having - I though that the car I drove (Dad's 4.0TDI) when in Dynamic mode was very close to my Sport suspended D2, but significantly more comfortable in Auto/Comfort when not chucking it around.

Is a normal D3 running in Dynamic not a good match for a Sport in Auto/Comfort? And is the Dynamic mode of a Sport car therefore not too firm? confused.gif

I'd like to upgrade to a D3 before too long, but need to get my window shopping sorted in the meantime!

[ QUOTE ]

Hi criss i have now changed my order for the 4.2TDI too SPORT MODEL, I hope it wont be too hard what do U think. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very happy with the ride comfort with sport suspension, but then I've had a D2 S8 and and RS 6 before that, so it's bound to feel more comfortable! I personally prefer it I think the comfort mode on a standard is useless if you're never going to use it because it's too 'bouncy', so I prefer to flip between comfort/D in town, and dynamic/tip on the open road.

[ QUOTE ]

I though that the car I drove (Dad's 4.0TDI) when in Dynamic mode was very close to my Sport suspended D2, but significantly more comfortable in Auto/Comfort when not chucking it around.

[/ QUOTE ]

All depends on personal preference. I really don't get on with standard suspension in comfort mode at all. To my mind, standard/dynamic is akin to D2 A8 sport suspension, where sport/dynamic is more like the D2 S8 suspension, but the major difference is that it implements active anti-roll so remains as flat as the RS 6 without the spine-tingling hardness.

I'd really recommend anyone with doubts to try both standard and sport and make up their own mind - it's that subjective.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very happy with the ride comfort with sport suspension, but then I've had a D2 S8 and and RS 6 before that, so it's bound to feel more comfortable! I personally prefer it I think the comfort mode on a standard is useless if you're never going to use it because it's too 'bouncy', so I prefer to flip between comfort/D in town, and dynamic/tip on the open road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I always use "dynamic" so the sport should be good for me . 169144-ok.gif