Is an auto Boxster worth more?

Ari

Talking to a mate who's buying a used Boxster and he reckons he's got a good deal on one and it's Tiptronic auto.

I said maybe thats why it's a good deal cos auto's are worth less but he reckons that actually auto Boxsters are worth more. crazy.gif

Sounds odd to me, anyone know? confused.gif

Just curious really.

Would have thought it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

An ex Boxster owner once told me the manuals were more desirable (and he drove a Tiptronic!) but he was also full of dung.gif most of the time.

Personally, i would go for manual.

When I had Boxster's the OPC always said that Tip one's were much less sought after and tended to be worth slightly less in terms of residuals - they are generally S/H priced about the same as the normal manuals - thus losing the new auto premium. NB: They also really dilute the whole driving experience thing and the 2.7 I tried was a lot slower than the manual. Final useless fact is that on the Porsche Driving Days, they often seem to use tip cars because it allows them to get the pupil to focus more on the driving skills etc. - apparently.

I’m surprised at that as well. We tried both when my dad was looking at one and he went for the manual. I suppose that there will be far fewer autos available which obviously compensates for them being a less desirable car to most people.

Surely Auto Porsches are just for fair weather poseurs? laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

According to Glass's Guide the tiptronic models are worth more than the manuals in every Boxster model there has ever been! I think they know what they are talking about!

[/ QUOTE ]

By that do u mean they've held the option price of the auto box, and depreciated a similar amount. Or that they've depreciated less?

Should have clarified what I meant, sorry. They have held the option price of the auto box and depreciated at virtually the same rate. For example, a 54 plate 3.2 Boxster S manual cost £42,243 new and now has a trade in value of £32,275 and has lost 23% of its new value. The same car with the tiptronic box cost £44,164 and now has a trade in vlaue of £33,475, losing 25% of its value.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

There aren't many cars (in fact i can't think of any) where the auto is worth less than the manual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping that this applies to the MR2 SMT also!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Glass's don't list an 05 plate sequential box but on a 54 plate the auto is worth £400 more than the manual.

Can you tell I'm rushed off my feet this afternoon smashfreakB.gif. Motor trade has gone very slow in the last couple of weeks. crazy.gif

Well I'm certainly not querying Glass's - but I wonder if Porsche OPC's actually use it for pricing. Nottingham OPC today:

Boxster S, Silver, 04/06 (Tiptronic) 500m: £44,495

Boxster S, Atlas Grey, 04/06 (Man) 1000m: £44,795

Both are metallic with good spec and the manual even has more miles. All I can tell you is that every time I bought one they always said avoid the Tip as they are hard to shift used. I don't believe the same is true of the 911 by the way.

My Box was in for some work a couple of weeks ago and I had a Box S with tip for a couple of days. I hated it. It just seemed to be at odds with the car and tbh, it wasn't even that good as an auto box either. VAG DSG blows it away on that front.

Having said that, I was driving through London yesterday and would have welcomed it. Maybe regions vary the price too.

0 - 60 isn't the be all and end all of performance. In any case, you usually have to be pretty brutal with clutch/box to achieve anything close to the 'road test' figures. The performance figures for an auto box are more easily achievable/repeatable.

I can understand an auto Boxster if you lived in a big city and it was your only car. Maybe you'd compromise the purity of the drive for the convenience in town.

But the chap I know whos supposed to be getting one is buying it as a weekend sportscar, he has a new Golf GTI for "everyday".

And the Golf is manual!

I fear he'll end up with an everyday Golf thats more sporty than the weekend Porsche! crazy.gif

I'd expect the Tip to be slightly more expensive.. the tipronic box as an option costs about £1500 on a boxster so after about a year or so a tip would have lost pretty much all of this additional value in most markets, I'd expect a Tiptronic to be aprox £500 more than a manual..

Manual is my choice by far.. but there are some places where people have a Porsche for status and not driver appeal.. bring on the London crew... 996 Tip cabrio's are worth more than 996 manual cabrio's both after a year of depreciation.. it's what they want in London... A large proportion of female buyers also prefer the tiptronic option as well.. and seeing as Boxsters are predominately bought by women it is easy to see why Tips still hold there value reasonably well..

[ QUOTE ]

I can understand an auto Boxster if you lived in a big city and it was your only car. Maybe you'd compromise the purity of the drive for the convenience in town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or perhaps just for the ability to drive it at all ... there are days when I just can't operate a clutch pedal without pain.

[ QUOTE ]

There aren't many cars (in fact i can't think of any) where the auto is worth less than the manual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought of one!!! ices_blah.gif

Porsche 968. Six speed manual or 4(?) speed auto. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Ian

Guys I have spoken to Porsche Solihull about this and they told me they sell 80% of 911's with the tiptronic box. I find that quite disturbing being a motoring pureist, I suppose it shows that the average 911 driver tends to not to be the petrol head you think they might be. I would be interested to see the average age of a 911 driver.