CAM BELT

lukemg

Hi all, just had my TDI 130 Golf in for a service, they are recommending Cam belt change, done 62k nearly 4 yrs old so fair enough, they are quoting 340 notes. Does this sound a lot ? Any good independants in Manchester anyone can recommend. Thanks in advance.

Sounds about right, It is a lot of labour TBH, the part cost's £20 max. Also it may need a tensioner if this is what the manufacturer recomends. If your in central Manchester the cost will be higher than if you go out towards the sticks, so might be worth shopping about a bit. 169144-ok.gif

If you've got VW service history all the way through then I would pay the premium and let them do it. I know someone who had a replacement belt on a Rover a few years ago and three weeks later it snapped. Rover agreed to pay for 50% of the costs as it had full rover service history. The full bill was well over £2000 an that was a few years ago. Had they used an independent then they would have got nowt! 169144-ok.gif

I can recomend DW Auto's in Stretford. Very good independant repairer. I think labour rate is £30 per hour. They replaced the clutch on my Passat for £320 using vag parts, VW wanted £700. shocked.gif

It is a family run firm and they do mainly fleet/leasing work.

Their number is 0161 865 4272

Chris