Clonking suspension, B6 A4

AvantSE

The o/s/f suspension on my A4 makes a clonking sound when I go over big bumps in the road, but the local garage has checked the suspension joints etc. and says there is nothing wrong with them.

There has been a suggestion that it could be the anti-roll bar bushes or even a front damper that is worn, but is this a common problem and what is the most likely cause?

The car has done 111,000 miles so I am not surprised if something needs replacing, it's just a matter of what.

Any ideas chaps? coffee.gif

I experienced this on a similar car to yours. There were no obvious problems but when the car was on the ground if you reached under you could feel play in the outer anti roll bar bushes.

The symptoms you describe would lead me to suggest them over the shock absorbers unless there are signs of leakage. Besides anti roll bar bushes will be cheaper than replacing a shock absorber so I'd go for them. There is bound to be some wear in them after that mileage.

• 4 weeks later...

Ref A4 Suspension. It is possible the garage missed a faulty suspension arm when checking. Having changed many front suspension arms on A4's 6's i know faulty arms can be over looked. By lifting the wheel assembly upwards when the vehicle is raised on a ramp you can detect any movement in the ball joint. Although anti roll bar bushes do fail, it is much more likely it is a suspension arm. Get another opinoin.

Ref A3: Its usually the plastic mounts on the anti roll bar that crack and cause the knocking. In this case the anti roll bar and bushes need replacing.

Regards 4 Rings

Thanks for that, I was not particularly convinced by what I was told when I took it in, though he said it would pass an MOT as it was so I was content enough to not take it further.

I will get it looked at soon though, it is getting on my nerves.