DSG. How long till its second nature?

Soulboy

I have done about 3k in my car now.

Following a couple of posts on here, I have changed the way I use the DSG.

I only use Drive for crawling around town, and use tiptronic most of the time.

I have also started using sport on windy roads / roads with lots of roundabouts etc and have discovered that it is not actually too manic if you are not flooring the throttle. But it will stick in 4th gear if you dont pass 80mph (ish) so have to manual change up to 6th.

Anyway, my questions are these:

1) How long does it take to get to know the dsg 'properly'? - having driven a manual for 24 years (maybe one for the GTI boys)

2) Any other driving tips / styles with DSG

beerchug.gif

My mother has the 2.0T A3 Sportback DSG. At first I did not like it until I took it over the Scottish mountains and the box came into it's own then!! Fantastic box for sure.

I know what you mean about using it. I find that if someone is in the car with you then Sport is too much. Too jurky and engine is screaming more than I want it too. At least the Sport really is a SPORT feature!

"Drive" for me most of the time.

It is funny how the "clutch" in it does not kick in until a second or two and you can roll back on a hill unlike a normal auto box.

Reverse has an unusual sound!

DSG 4 ME! 169144-ok.gif

Took me quite while to settle in with the DSG (5k miles now)and for the paddles to become second nature but, broadly speaking I use S for junctions and roundabouts and D for cruising and traffic..... paddles to fine tune in either. For quick twisty bits I use D and then go to the paddles.

I used Tip for a while but now I find the paddles are quicker to access, more convenient and more flexible. I can't remember when I last had a need to mess about with Tip.