1987 VW Cabriolet problems

vwcabrio

I have a 1987 VW Cabriolet (basically the same as the golf I think), with 314,000kms, 1.8L 4cylinder, 5spd, no a/c. This morning I had a squeeling sound when I turn but it went away after a few minutes, but later on when driving approx 80km/h I had some power losses where I could not rev the engine but if I shift out of gear and rev the engine a bit I can resume like normal, then about 5 minutes later I have when going rather slowly around a corner the power loss again causing my car to jerk a bit until I clutch then engage the gear again then it is fine again. Any ideas on whats going on? Thanks

I just tried driving around for another 40 minutes and it occured again, right after a bunch of clicking sounds that sound like relays coming from the fuse and relay panel. The power then cut out for about 5 seconds then I heard a relay click and power was back again. Does anyone have any knowledge about relays that may cause this problem that may need to be replaced, they all look like original. Thanks