High performance 4x4's

Ari

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It's as much about marketing and appealing to people's dreams, aspirations, and the image they want for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, no actual practical purpose whatsoever, other than making little people feel big. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....But you could say the same about cabriolet drivers (though I personally don't have that opinion!) - Some say that cabs increase and satisfy the pose factor grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Millteks

J/k Robin 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Cayenne Turbo = 'justifiable' Porsche Family car..... for people who want to be better than the neighbours who have a Range Rover.

[/ QUOTE ]

....But you can apply this to all sorts of cars. An R32 to trump all other Golfs etc etc. People choose their cars for a huge number of reasons - Both rational and irrational.

I would have no hesitation in buying a Cayenne regardless of what anyone else thinks of me. Who here chooses their car based on what others will think of them ? - Very few, if any, I hope.

[ QUOTE ]

Who here chooses their car based on what others will think of them ? - Very few, if any, I hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say almost all of people on here consider "image" or "prestige" when buying a car whether they admit to it or not. It won't be the only consideration and it won't be the main one but its there.

If VW fitted an identical engine, suspension and styling to the Cayenne for £10k less would all Cayenne buyers switch?

No coz of badge snobbery and projecting an image. They want to say they drive a Porsche (IMHO)

then I agree with you

but assuming someone has considered all the other factors - price, performance, space, economy etc and got a shortlist

Toerag V10, RR or RRS, X5 4.8i, Cayenne S for example

then comes down to looks and image and can't believe Cayenne wins many looks contests!

Porsche themselves seem to think its an 'off-roader'

Taken from the website -

Off-road training sessions are held on a 6-km (3.7 miles) circuit and are also supervised by a Porsche instructor. As well as learning how to use the car’s off-road capability to maximum effect, you’ll discover some of the secrets of all-terrain driving.

The session begins outside the customer centre with three challenging off-road tests: seesaw, twist humps and stepped ascent. Next, you negotiate a 50-metre wading trough before arriving at the circuit itself.

Carefully designed for minimum impact on the local environment, the new off-road circuit occupies a 100-hectare site that was formerly a military exercise area. With up to 15 training modules to choose from, there’s plenty of opportunity to explore the car’s off-road potential on some of the most challenging terrain there is.

[ QUOTE ]

Adam > I agree that 'image' is a factor. I should have written "Who here chooses their car based primarily on what others will think of them ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on my initial foray into these forums, there are plenty of people who only seem to be concerned about how a car looks and what other people think. Most A4 S-Line drivers for a start…..

Back on track, of course most buyers of the Cayenne choose it because of the image, badge etc. If you have to have a 4x4 and want it to work well on road, then there is only one option imgo, the Range Rover. And no, not the Sport, the proper one.

I must admit that I don't 'get' 4x4's though. Why would you buy one unless you lived in the middle of nowhere or had to tow something big and heavy? A decent estate car will do everything one of these things will do, but will be quicker, more economical and (imo) far more stylish.

[ QUOTE ]

......then comes down to looks and image and can't believe Cayenne wins many looks contests!

[/ QUOTE ]

....Oh it ticks all my boxes. I think it looks beautiful. But don't forget that I also think that a M version BMW 1-series looks good. I really like this version for looks:

828686-Cayenne.jpg

post-10081-137914360967_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It's as much about marketing and appealing to people's dreams, aspirations, and the image they want for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, no actual practical purpose whatsoever, other than making little people feel big. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....But you could say the same about cabriolet drivers (though I personally don't have that opinion!) - Some say that cabs increase and satisfy the pose factor grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odd assumption. crazy.gif

I drive a cab cos I like driving with the roof down. In other words I drive a particular type of vehicle because I enjoy ultilising the function that type of vehicle gives me.

How many people drive an offroad vehicle like a Cayenne because they like driving offroad do you imagine? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

surely the only real hot 4x4 is the bowler wildcat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but a tuned JCB fastrac or a Massey 390 Turbo are much better than that laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The only real 4x4's would be the original Landrover or Wilys Jeep. But who who would want to go round the M25 with the kids in the back or go to business meetings in those.

Give me a car that can carry 5 people and their luggage in luxury, safely at fast motorway speeds in any weather and then up to the Alps one a year. Then give me the fun of being in it on my own at the weekends to blow everything else off the road.

Not many cars can do all those things so the real ablity to go offroad is compromised just slightly, but who cares !!!!

Give me traction and even more traction for all those horses.

[ QUOTE ]

Give me a car that can carry 5 people and their luggage in luxury, safely at fast motorway speeds in any weather and then up to the Alps one a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, ooh, where's Ari? Surely a red rag to a bull. grin.gif

Anyway, I'd reply RS6 to your question.

Actually the Cayenne is probably one of the few that is safe at speed in that it's dynamically capable (different matter if it hits you of course).

But yes, exactly, RS6. Thats the whole point, you don't need to give the thing offroad pretensions, thats just there to sell it, and it must impede driving dynamics to some degree... crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Give me a car that can carry 5 people and their luggage in luxury, safely at fast motorway speeds in any weather and then up to the Alps one a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

R_1565-.jpg

Can't see that doing so well in the snow and ice when it is fully loaded.

Nice car if that is your thing and I have seen them driven at very high speeds mostly by fat germans.

coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Actually the Cayenne is probably one of the few that is safe at speed in that it's dynamically capable (different matter if it hits you of course).

But yes, exactly, RS6. Thats the whole point, you don't need to give the thing offroad pretensions, thats just there to sell it, and it must impede driving dynamics to some degree... crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

RS6 or RS4Avant, vey nice motors if you are into driving fast estates but you are missing another point here, in the Cayenne you can look down on all the peasants, travelling salesman etc from your lofty driving position while pointing to your Porsche badge.

'I drive a Porschaaah' sounds so much better than 'I drive an Audi'.

I think comparing a Cayenne to a full function 4 x 4 tractor based design is unfair.

Landies win the off road trip hands down.

The Porsche is a love or hate design and I love it. It's big and brutal in Turbo form and perfect for that house I'll build 1 mile down an unmade road.

I'd have trouble getting a Sports car down the lane, but in the Porsche I'll have the best of both worlds.

It's all about lifestyle v practicality v ego v head v heart, any luxurious purchase is.

A cabriolet is design flawed compared to a car.

It's less secure, less stable, heavier in weight, hell for anyone in the back at 100+ mph, conversation v wind noise, loss of boot function- all design flaws when compared to the saloon or estate versions.

Cab's are great fun and appeal to a universal audience. Not the sort of car you'd load bricks in to down a a builders yard, so what, that's not why people buy them.

Surely it's the same comparative debate. If you need a big car, for towing, for play, for safety, for getting down your unmade road and can afford a Porsche Cayenne great, enjoy it.

Snap with the cabs.

Snap again with super cars where you have to plan routes avoiding sleeping policeman bumps.

All 3 example are a waste of money, a Skoda basic would do.

Hell it's great that we live in a world where we can chose, and lets accept that we will all chose something that matches our own sense of taste and style wink.gif.

Anyway Ari, if you ever take Dawn F out, a Cayenne is about the only thing that could support her super sized bum shocked.gif

tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Give me a car that can carry 5 people and their luggage in luxury, safely at fast motorway speeds in any weather and then up to the Alps one a year. Then give me the fun of being in it on my own at the weekends to blow everything else off the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK then, would Sir like an RS4 or maybe an A6 4.2 Avant, S6, S8 etc etc etc? If you want slightly more ground clearance, then how about an Allroad or a Subaru of some kind?

Never mind the ground clearance, a Cayenne Turbo S wouldn't cope with anything more taxing than wet grass because of its road tyres.

[ QUOTE ]

IA cabriolet is design flawed compared to a car.

It's less secure, less stable, heavier in weight, hell for anyone in the back at 100+ mph, conversation v wind noise, loss of boot function- all design flaws when compared to the saloon or estate versions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Long time since you've been in a modern cab clearly! You can put a brick through a saloon window as easily as a cab. How are they less stable? You don't go in the back with the top down at 100mph. The softtop box in a modern cab lifts clear of the boot when roof is up so as not to lose boot space.

But all of this is irrelevent, most Cab owners, if there is any compromise, make it in return for being able to drop the roof. Cayenne owners have compromises to offroad ability that is simply never ever used.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway Ari, if you ever take Dawn F out, a Cayenne is about the only thing that could support her super sized bum shocked.gif

tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very nice. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RS6 or RS4Avant, vey nice motors if you are into driving fast estates but you are missing another point here, in the Cayenne you can look down on all the peasants, travelling salesman etc from your lofty driving position while pointing to your Porsche badge.

'I drive a Porschaaah' sounds so much better than 'I drive an Audi'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet your the type of person who goes around like this

loadsamoney.jpg

I'd rather buy a car because of what it can do, rather then how it sounds like to my friends. For example I'd take a VRS over the 1.gif any day of the week.