Adapting headlights for France

Cartman

I'm going on holiday in France next month. I have asked my dealer about headlamp converters and they gave me a diagram of areas on the headlights to black out with something. Hence my question - what with? I thought insulating tape but will this not be affected by the heat of the lights?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I searched the forums but could only find a thread about the R32 and a switch which I don't think I have on mine.

MKIV Golf 1.8T 20V GTI Black 34k. ECLIPSe.gif

I have some old black Fablon which is like insulation tape on a backing paper and but with little stretch that I've used on several VW's that have the areas to blank off marked on the headlamp lenses (also shown in the handbook). You may still buy it from an old-fashioned ironmonger. Mine is approx 50cm wide.

If not the harder less stretchy black insulation tape should be OK. It's an offence not to do so. I was given a leaflet at Customs in Dover a month ago which says amongst other things:

HEADLAMP BEAM ADAPTORS.

Failure to adapt your headlamps at any time DAY or NIGHT, will render your vehicle UNFIT for use on the road and could invalidate you motor insurance and could result in spot fines.

You also need a reflective triangle plus spare bulbs. (Two reflective triangles for Spain.)

European Law now requires all vehicles to carry reflective vests for drivers AND their passengers!

The leaflet has this web address, www.travel-spot.co.uk