Audi Concert II mp3 query...

I'm picking up my new A3 next week and it comes with the standard Concert II single slot CD player, no multichanger. I've read the various iPod threads but I'm one of those odd people who bought something else. What I'm wondering is will my Sony NW-HD3 mp3 player connect to the back of the Concert II?

My last car had an aftermarket Blaupunkt HU and I was able to connect from a spare multichanger socket at the back to my mp3 players 3.5mm jack. I then selected auxillary on the HU. Does anyone know if the Audi unit has this functionality?

The Ipod connection is into the multi changer part... so I'm assuming if you have the correct lead to plug into your MP3, then you should be ablte to connect it to the back of the radio.

I have a concert II as well, and the Audi IPOD lead, I actually had to insert the individual wires into the correct positions in the block. I actually found this quite easy however. I suppose your biggest challenge will be knowing which wire goes where.

I wondered about one of these for my gfs car however - "These leads are intended for use with better-specified Blaupunkt 'aftermarket' radios, and are not suitable for use with most Blaupunkt navigation systems or factory-fitted radios, including VW Beta / Gamma / Chorus models. They will plug in, but not be recognised by the radio" put me off (+ a few people on here telling me it wouldn't work...)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update on this one. However, I may be telling you something you already know.

My car is booked in next week to have this mp3 thing sorted. What is needed is a little box of tricks that is connected to the end of the unused autochanger cable. This fools the H/U into thinking an autochanger is connected. Another cable (presumably the 3.5mm jack lead) is then run back to the front of the car to connect to my NW-HD3. We've decided that the top right cubby hole in the glove box is the perfect place for that to sit.

If anyone is interested I can post up pictures of the install after Wednesday. Provided it all works of course!

Update #2

As it turned out the guys fitting the cables etc have been sent the wrong adapter so I've got to pop back Friday. But the good news is (IMO) that there is no autochanger cable in my car so that means everything can be done at the H/U end ie no removal of trim from the front to the back.

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

Did you get this working??? Interested to know whats needed and how to wire in...

Nothing wrong in not having an IPod...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, everything is working fine. Sorry for leaving this thread hanging.

They drilled a small hole in the back of the glove box (totally out of sight) and now the mp3 player either sits on the top right hand shelf or if I use an extension cable it can sit in the space just forward of the ashtray. The cable is quite slim so the glovebox still shuts.

I'll try and find a link for the 'box of tricks'.

<Edit> I'm guessing it was something like this http://www.nexxia.co.uk/iPod_MP3_Adaptors/audi.htm </Edit>

Yes that's about it. The only H/U control that works is the volume. The H/U display all lights up as if a changer is attached but obviously the controls don't work, it just shows something like Disc 1, Track 1 all the time. This was always going to be a cheap and cheerful solution but it does me fine. The only slight irritation is remembering to press Stop on the mp3 player when you get out of the car, otherwise it just continues playing. If I had £££ I'd certainly go for the Phatbox/noise/whatever but I haven't at the moment so that's a non-starter.

If I get time today I'll put up a pic or two.

Thanks for the pics.

Whilst looking for a CD changer the other day came across this

http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/MP3_Produ...PACK_1-_Sony%29

MP3 Changer Description

The CDX-T70MX is one of the smallest MP3 changers, and features a 1 bit D/A converter with 8x oversampling for superior sound quality. You can play your home-burned CD-R's and CD-RW's as well as original MP3's, and the compact design also allows for multiple mounting angles.

Package Info

This MP3 changer and MP3 interface adaptor have been combined from prestigious manufacturers to guarantee optimum compatibility with your standard radio.

A nice bit of kit but TBH I think if you're thinking of spending that sort of money you're better off going for the Phatbox eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-PHATBOX-MP3-P...1QQcmdZViewItem Apart from anything else you won't have to mess around burning your mp3 files to disc. I would guess it's a very rapid transfer from your PC just like the ipods and Sonys. With hindsight this is the route I should have taken.

No, regardless of the number of folders on the disc it will just play tracks in sequence 1 - 99, it groups the tracks in a folder sequentially but the only info on the HU is track no 1 - 99. Some on this forum have said that if you put more than 99 tracks on a disc it will play them but will start the count again from 1, ie track 100 = 1 but I have so far stuck to 99 tracks per CD, although I have put complete albums on as a single track to get more music from the 99 track limit, otherwise you're limited to 594 tracks on the changer plus a cd in the HU.

beerchug.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is now sorted. The original unit supplied by CarAudioPlus was in fact faulty.

My Sony NW-HD3 now sits out of the way on the top right shelf of the glovebox and I have full functionality through the headunit, including the player powering up or down depending. Coupled with the NW series volume limiter hack I'm rather chuffed with the outcome.

See, got there in the end smile.gif

Links

http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/iPod_%26_P...y_NW-HD_Adapter

http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2search.aspx?catID=15&manID=202&modID=561 (Ignore the '98-'03 reference)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184051

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to see how long I can keep this running...

I've now ditched the NW-HD3 for the new MZ-RH1 Hi-MD player (lovely bit of kit) and I'm using that in the car. Functionality through the head unit is the same as before.

I think I've said before that photography isn't my strong point.

Hi-MD001Medium.jpg

Hi-MD003Medium.jpg

Hi-MD005Medium.jpg

This is exactly what I am looking for !!!

So, to connect my NW-HD1 to my HU, and to get full functionality from the HU do I just need the caraudioplus lead or the connects2 thingummy as well ???

Not exactly sure what the connects2 box of tricks is or how you order it if you need it. Would love to have the MP3 player left in the glovebox and full control from the HU.

Thanks in advance, Disco