Baked on Tar and Brake Dust?

bpsmith

Anyone know how to get brake dust and tar spots off alloy wheels that seems to be baked on and not washed for a long time?

Been asked to help a mate out but, although the wheels are pretty new, they seem to have this caked on as if they have never really been washed. Would like to make it as easy on him as possible but get them up like new.

Any ideas?

Costco have great strong alloy wheel cleaner. I find that its the best. But for your purpose, for stubborn marks/brake dust, use petrol!!!!

Rub on the petrol first all over and let it soak in and then go over it again and it will come off.

Wash with soapy water and rinse!! 169144-ok.gif

Petrol!?!

I can see the logic in that but does it damage the pain or wheel at all? How long do I leave it on for?

Like your S Line Avant btw! That is exactly what I plan to get next. Once I have got rid of my Freelander later in the year that is! Forgot how good the Audi's were until we got the A2 a few weeks back and switch between that and the Freelander. Doh! frown.gif

bpsmith, Thanks for that!

The petrol just leave on for a minute, works great on Tar!!! People spend a fortune on Tar remover etc but petrol is cheap at 95p a litre or whatever. You could never buy a litre of Tar remover for less than a pound!!

169144-ok.gif

Tried the first piece of the clay on it very briefly but did not seem to shift much of it.

Petrol sounds like an idea but very dubious also so will use as last resort unless someone else has a secret weapon they may care to share with us?

I use Wonder Wheels Alloy Wheel Cleaner (available nearly everywhere including Costo). Brush it on (brush included!), leave it a few minutes (give a 2nd coat if really stubborn in the corners) and wash off.

Been the best buy in Autoexpress for years and will easily remove all brake dust. However afterwards you need to give your alloys a good polish and sealant as it is quite strong stuff.

In my opinion Wonder Wheels is to strong and I've seen it dull finishes. On expensive alloys i wouldn't use anything other than a ph balanced one. The best bet is to make sure the wheels are sealed with a wheel wax and this stops the dust sticking in the first place.

Is there a wheel wax you'd recommend. I've been using Autoglym super resin polish up to now, but I want to do the job properly. Next the time wheels come off for the waxing I want to seal the wheel arch plastics too any suggestions?

I know its a bit @nal, but hey, this cars' to last a long time grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What wheel wax/sealant would you recommend Tim ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can use any wax you like on wheels followed by any sealent but if you are looking for specific then poorboys wheel sealent followed by Klasse AIO or Carlack 68 is a good combination .

Wounder wheels is leathel stuff. I ruined Some 17inch Thor Volvo alloys which anyone whos got them will know there like a polished finish. And it turn your wheels nuts white crazy.gif As for protection super resin followed bt gloss protectane is excellent on alloys. Turlte wax extream ploymer wheel wax is the best for a shine and layer of protection shame its £7 a bottle.

Well i was 15 at the time and i wasnt wise about valeting and my dad decided to take the car to volvo and they replaced them as they thought it was just bad laquer. Car was only three months old tho. I know the 16 inch mimas and the very spokey ones are known to flake badely. The replaced ones were terribly corroded and pitted after 108 K even through weekly washing etc.

Hi John,

Yep, I can confirm the 16" flake badly and it puts me off Volvo now. I wish I had been the wiser 12 months ago cause it was still in the standard 2 year warranty period then and the service shop said they likely would have replaced them at the time but he did say also if any marks to suggest kerbing etc then that would void a warranty claim - I did point out that flaking was actually on the flat of the spokes and no where near where kerb marks might be (even though little or no kerb marks - most marks were from where balancing weights had been moved by tyre fitters).

I am still chasing Volvo now cause I am arguing that wheel lacquer is a painted surface and painted surfaces are on a 3 year warranty - not having much luck though.

Have you got info re Volvo wheel lacquer issues from any other forums? I would be interested to have a read.

Thanks

Paddy

Hi,

no sorry i havnt got any other information. You could get your wheels refurbed for £60 a wheel thats probs the cheapest. Volvo went last year so havnt got any of the written info they gave us either. On our previous a6 the 2.0tdi the 18inch RS6 style wheels coroded and pitted in a few months and they were washed twice or somtines three times a week and waxed. crazy.gif