AUDI A4 2.5 TDI QUATTRO 1999 NON START

DOUGP

ENGINE CUT OUT GLOW PLUG LIGHT CAME ON. NOW REFUSES TO START WILL TURN OVER BUT DOESN'T FIRE.BLEW THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT FUSE No. 34 CHANGED FUEL FILTER NO FUEL IN PIPES CHECKED IN THE FUEL TANK CLEANED IT OUT. SENT ECU AWAY TO BE CHECKED NO FAULT FOUND. TIMING BELT CHANGED 5000 MILES AGO . AFB ENGINE CODE CAR HAS COVERED 175000 MILES

smashfreakB.gif

Replaced electric pump in tank discovered later that all it does is suck fuel into the reservoir that is in the tank. The diesel pump on the engine sucks the fuel up. Before I spend a fortune on a new pump I just wondered if there could be any other areas worth pursuing

All it says in the handbook is engine management that is why I thought it might be the ECU. I've had it hooked up to a diagnostic machine a few codes came up, I don't have the codes at hand but it doesn't point to anything specific

Hooked up a seperate tank of diesel direct to fuel filter with an electric pump. Attempt to start and bleed through the injectors one by one and diesel comes squirting out the top of the injectors when releasing the nuts. Maybe just fuel that is lying in the pump or not at the required pressure I don't really know.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for information for anyone else having trouble with there 2.5 tdi V6 which refuses to start, the diesel injection pump was the problem with my car. Apparently a common fault once they have passed 100 000 miles, so mine did well to last 175000!! To buy a new one from audi is approx £1200 + VAT but I managed to source a low mileage secondhand one for considerably less. Reconditioned ones are also available for a good saving on new audi part. Not exactly a five minute job because the whole front of the car has to come off to gain sufficient access to remove the pump. Be prepared for a big bill unless you have a friendly mechanic who can do it on the cheap for you !

ECLIPSe.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I had this pump problem and cost me 1200 quid! ouch... on my A4 rag top sline 2.5 tdi but few months later I'm now getting some strange rattling noise that seems to follow a sequence... I took it my local garage but they seem to think its a valve problem and needs the front taking off again! Car still drives but I've stopped driving it in fear it makes things worse.. they said to get a 2nd opinion from Audi as not confident its that... I know this is a long shot but anybody hazard a guess! I thought it was a belt type problem.... cheers