Opinions on A4 2.5TDI Quattro Sports (180bph)?

Mr_T

Hi,

I have just sold my Audi TT due to now having a baby girl and needing a family car to get around in. Also I have been travelling lots with my work so a diesel is also needed.

What are peoples opinion of the A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport (180bhp)? I like both saloon and avant and havn't decided which to go for yet. Are there any typical problems with this model and what do I need to watch out for?

What is the drive like etc and how will I find it jumping out of a TT into one of these?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Fuel economy isn't a major factor, I have been used to 24 - 27mpg with the TT so I would hope that this model should beat that easily? 180bhp is not bad for a diesel either as I do like to put my toe down now and again wink.gif

Depends on how frugal you want to be, I can get 35mpg easily and on a long run 500 miles to a full tank, I driven the 1.9TDI and yes they are good, and the 2.0TDI aint bad either but I have no problems out pacing either from standing start or overtaking on motorways, and they sound a lot better which is a lot to say for a soot chucker!

on the bad side.....road tax is slightly dearer and servicing can be more expensive too, especially at timing belt time! but other than that i'm all for the 2.5 V6 TDI

Having had my A4 2.5 TDI Sline manual for 6 months and done just short of 20K i am getting 40mpg without any problems thats doing 100 miles a day on dual carriage way and normal A roads, The engine is so smooth and a lot more refined than the 1.9 or 2.0ltr engines and also a nice balance for the A4

Sure the 2.5 engine is being replaced but that doesnt mean its a bad engine it has been refined many times since its original version

I have found moving from the TT to the A4 (same reasons as you) pretty painless. In many ways I'd say the A4 is a logical progression with a familiar feel to the controls etc.

No dashpod problems to worry about either!

In terms of engines, if you are an oil burner I'd say the 1.9 too!

HI I have just upgraded from a 1.9 tdi to a 2.5 tdi quattro avant and other than the drop in economy it is a much more refined car and for me an excellent upgrade. Just done 700 miles this weekend and it was much more refined and easy to drive.

Personally I would recommend the estate if you are expanding and they are much more practical with little disadvantages over the saloon. I also have dogs!!

Hope this is of use! I averaged about 35-40 mpg overall and was not hanging about!!

Paul

[ QUOTE ]

B6 1.9 TDI 130 or

B7 2.0 TDI 140 !

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely true - they kept the 1.9TDi engine in the B7 but it was only the 110bhp version - or at least they did have it as my neighbour's got one.

I've not driven the 2.5TDi quattro, but I do have a 2.5TDi FWD and I think it's lacking power (only the 150bhp version). The extra oomph from the 180 would probably help fuel economy too. As said, the engine is a heavy old lump and needs a bit of welly to get it going. Not sure on the quattro ones, but mine only really has any pulling power at 3,000 rpm and above. Of course it runs out pretty quickly as the rev limiter cuts in.

I only get 35mpg and above on m/way journies. Around town it's as bad as my TT and if you're booting it in town can drop to low 20s easily.

If you're going brand new, then try to hold out for the 2.7TDi if you want the added refinement of the V6 or look out for the 170bhp 2.0TDi version which you can now spec with quattro.

All that said, we used to have a 130 TDi saloon and needed an Avant so used the switch as an opportunity to get the 2.5TDi. I much prefer the way it drives despite the fact we used to get nearer 50mpg on a good run with the 130.

The good news is, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.

I went from an A6 2.6 V6 (not diesel) to the 1.9TDi, and as much as I miss the smoothness of a V6 engine, the fuel economy of the 1.9TDi (130,not remapped) is on average 45mpg. I can easily get 50mpg and over on the motorway.

I'd say it comes down to this:

1.9TDi (130) or 2.0TDi (140)

Best fuel economy, good performance with lots of torque, easily remappable (if that's a word blush.gif) which by all accounts gives it a new life! Cheaper servicing.

2.5TDi V6

Not as good fuel economy but still not bad for a V6, smoothness, doesn't sound as diesel'ish (not a word I know) as the 4 pot engine, even more torque (therefore Quattro is essential), still easily remappable but IMO you'd be pushing the limits of the engine and drivetrain with so much torque.

Hi Mr T, welcome to TSN.

I had an automatic version for a year, was a lovely car that went well and handled superb (isn't quattro superb!!!) but was always disapointed with the mpg. Previous to the Audi I had a Golf Gti diesel, the 150 bhp version, which I could average over 40mpg (I'm an estate agent so do lots of short journies), with the Audi, I was only getting 22-23mpg. In fairness, on a long journey I used to get early 30's (I've got a heavy right foot). Did manage to get it over 40mpg once when I had my elderly Aunt in the car on a 150 mile journey.

When the car was in for a service, I was given a A4 1.9 tdi (not quattro)as a courtesy car, it felt just as fast as the 2.5, mpg was a lot better although in fairness handling wasn't as good but thats down to quattro.

If I was buying another diesel, I would probably go for the smaller engines, the slight loss in performance is more than made up for by the much better mpg.

Hope that helps.

I have the 2.5 TDI Avant FWD 163 bhp, and have found it to be a great car. The engine is quite compared to the 1.9 TDI and pulls from abot 2200 revs up to the redline. I do quite a lot of motorway miles each day and average 45mpg which is much better than anticipated (and this is not in frugal mode, as I have a lead right foot). The power is delivered smoothly and I have never had a problem with traction so quattro would not in my opinion be a must (although not having it will improve economy). Where it really excells is on motorways, where it will comfortably sit at 80 just over 2200 revs and you would not know you were sat in a soot chucker. As mentioned above, it will leave the 2.0 and the 1.9 tdi behind when needed (law permitting). I would highly recommend it.

I had a 2.5 TDI Quattro 180 SE for 12 months. It handled like a boat, it really was dreadful. I choose it because it was a returns car on my internal company car scheme going cheap so I couldnt' / didn't test it before I got it.

The engine was good and it was nice to say goodbye to all the 1.9TDIs being driven within an inch of their lives. It did ride well.. but don't take it near a corner quattro or not. blush.gif169144-ok.gif

Oh and the brakes with all the weight couldn't stand up to any spirited driving let alone stopping it on occasions. Quattro is great at getting you moving, but my god try to slow the thing down and its a struggle with at times.. a few heart in the mouth moments to say the least.

That's about right Mr T, it would be fair to say that a standard remap would fetch an extra 30hp, whether it be a 1.9/2.0 or 2.5. But when you consider the extra torque on the gearbox, it could bring problems in later life. Consider the 2.5TDi (180) Quattro with 370Nm of torque, if you had that remapped, the engine would be capable of around 420Nm. If you continually drive hard with that much torque, you're likely to wear out the gearbox components much quicker. I think it's fair to say though, that it could be a month, a year or longer before something breaks... but it depends on how far you are prepared to go for the extra power gains.

As for the difference in performance between the 1.9TDi and the 2.5TDi (163), I couldn't really tell the difference. They have the same torque (310Nm), and although on paper the 2.5 is about a second quicker on the 0-62, the drain on fuel didn't seem worth it to me.

If you do buy a 2.5 TDI, make sure its a sport version as it is a much stiffer ride and will not/ should not suffer in the way discribed by CarMad. Mine is an Avant Sport and handling is great. I must admit that I have not had a problem with the brakes but it depends on how it is being driven.

HI I can second this! The sport version handles well coupled with the quattro system you feel well intouch with the road etc. As for the brakes I feel they are just as good as my 1.9tdi. The only thing I feel is well worth doing is ensuring that the brake fluid is regularly changed and for good stuff!

Like any car though some people get a little over ambitious on braking at times! I feel with the sport version when u brake heavily the uprated suspension etc may help as the car does not seem to dip as much.

[ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that remapping all of the deisels mentined in this post would return an extra 30bhp regardless of their current engine capacity. ie, a 180 would map upto 210 etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how true that is.

Bear in mind that unless internals are changed then the higher powered engines have already had a bit of a remap (OEM) over their lower powered siblings.

Take the 150bhp and 180bhp TTs. Both have the same engines, intercoolers etc. The 180bhp will chip to about 210-220. So will the 150.

The 225 is the same basic engine but has various parts upgrade and therefore can be taken to much higher levels of tune.

I doubt you get a much higher level of tune from a 180 V6 than you would from a 163, or indeed a 150.

Mind you, if you're into tht sort of thing, you wouldn't want to go much higher without quattro anyway, which kind of negates the argument.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that remapping all of the deisels mentined in this post would return an extra 30bhp regardless of their current engine capacity. ie, a 180 would map upto 210 etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how true that is.

Bear in mind that unless internals are changed then the higher powered engines have already had a bit of a remap (OEM) over their lower powered siblings.

Take the 150bhp and 180bhp TTs. Both have the same engines, intercoolers etc. The 180bhp will chip to about 210-220. So will the 150.

The 225 is the same basic engine but has various parts upgrade and therefore can be taken to much higher levels of tune.

I doubt you get a much higher level of tune from a 180 V6 than you would from a 163, or indeed a 150.

Mind you, if you're into tht sort of thing, you wouldn't want to go much higher without quattro anyway, which kind of negates the argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - there is far more than a mere 'chip' in it. Audi haven't done a MINI One / MINI Cooper. ices_blah.gif

For example, the con rods in the TT 225 are about twice the thickness as those in the basic, off the shelf 150 bhp 1.8T. EEK2.GIF

Ian

I've also got one of the A4 2.5 Quattro Sport 180s. I absolutely love the engine to bits. Put your foot down and she really does pull quite well. I find fuel economy excellent with an average of 35-40mpg. My only complaint of the enging is the turbo lag until you hit 1700rpm but that could be sorted out with a remap.

With the sport suspension, handling is superb and I haven't found a single issue yet. Mine currently has the 16" Sport wheels on so maybe 18s would improve this even more.

I do agree slightly with the brakes. The standard Audi ones could do with being a bit stronger maybe at higher speeds.

Overall, very happy with the car and don't regret buying it one little bit!