What do I look for when collecting a new car!

TDiAvant

Well today is the day I pick up my new A4 Avant from Teesside Audi! Is there anything I should be looking for or asking when I collect the car? The only things I can think of is to inspect the paint work and interior, and make sure all the options I have asked for are fitted!!

We were given a loan car over the last three weeks which had 60miles on the clock, now the only fault I could find on that car was the chrome trim around the windows did not line up with the body work, and the 18” alloys had small round stains on them which I could not remove, has anyone else has had the same problem the 18” wheels that are supplied with the S-line model?

Thanks

Lee

Body damage and your options are the main things to look out for and don't let anything go with the dealer. You will I'm sure you'll be on a high because of picking up your new car so don't let the dealer fob you off with such things like, it can be fitted in the future Sir, get it in writing before you sign for the car. Allways do the inspection before you sign.

Did you know that around 40% of new cars that are in a dealers have had some sort of damage to them from the time they leave the factory EEK2.GIF

Check the documentation matches up with the car. I've had a huge amount of hassle selling the GF's old Skoda Fabia because the DVLA originally registered (and was on the V150 -- or whatever the document it) the car as an automatic estate. It wasn't... it was a manual hatchback.

We notified the DVLA as soon as we spotted the problem; but not before the DVLA had told HPI and every insurance company that the car with our registration wasn't our car. It's a tricky one to explain to buyers. And the DVLA didn't seem to be interested. They claim it was a clerical error. I point out that we lost nearly 500 quid after the original sale fell through. Felt like banging my head against the wall of government bureaucracy. sportifs2.gif

When my mother got her Audi, the number plate was wrong, it was SV instead of ST. so check that!! The way I double checked it was looking at the tax disc.

Also when you get the reg document from DVLA (about a week later) check reg and chassis no.

Go through every option you ordered!!!!

Check the colour. My mate ordered a Brilliant Red one and when the car came there was a problem. It was Black. Non metallic black. so both colours were not metallic and therefore the saleman did not pick it up on the invoice as there was no charge for paint........ he pressed the wrong button......

Check under the front valance to see if it has been scratched coming off the transporter, also the roof!! It may have been on the bottom of the transporter and it happened to me on a new Golf once.......

Phone up the dealer before you go in. To make sure it's ready and the salesman has all paper work ready!! A lot of the time they can keep you waiting because they are not ready!!! "oh we are waiting on the tax disc", "admin is busy this morning" etc etc

Think taht should be it.

As UBM says, full tank!!!

And if you phone first to make sure everything is fine, you then have no worries and you will enjoy the experiance of picking it up. I bet there are many people on here who did not get the car when was agreed at you can pull your hair out over it! 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tips. But what would you do if there was a fault with the paint work? Reject the car or get it repaired but ask for lots of discount?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry about that unless it happens! 169144-ok.gif

They should tell you before you pick it up if there is a problem with anything!! Ask the question to confirm before hand!!

[ QUOTE ]

Well today is the day I pick up my new A4 Avant from Teesside Audi! Is there anything I should be looking for or asking when I collect the car? The only things I can think of is to inspect the paint work and interior, and make sure all the options I have asked for are fitted!!

We were given a loan car over the last three weeks which had 60miles on the clock, now the only fault I could find on that car was the chrome trim around the windows did not line up with the body work, and the 18” alloys had small round stains on them which I could not remove, has anyone else has had the same problem the 18” wheels that are supplied with the S-line model?

Thanks

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

My chrome strips on my A4 S Line don't line up with the bodywork either, although it's only noticeable on the rear windows in the corner. The chrome strips seems to be raised up and don't fit flush to the surface of the car, i.e. there is a big (1cm) gap there.

Should this be the case?

[ QUOTE ]

Thats the same place and same fault as this loan car I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, could you let me know if your new car has the same issue? If it doesn't then I'll take mine back to the dealer to sort out.

It seems a bit poor for the strips to not line up, even if it is by design.

[ QUOTE ]

My chrome strips on my A4 S Line don't line up with the bodywork either, although it's only noticeable on the rear windows in the corner. The chrome strips seems to be raised up and don't fit flush to the surface of the car, i.e. there is a big (1cm) gap there.

Should this be the case?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine's been the same from day 1.

Well I picked the car up and there was 1 scratch about 5mm on the rear passenger side door. This is getting sorted on Saturday. O and the car was waxed by Stevie Wonder fekr.gif I spent about an hour when I got home and removed it all…. Next time I go to collect a car I’ll make sure it's done mid day so they can do the job properly. One thing the sales guy said, that I should not wash the car for 2 weeks!!! As it’s has had the Life Shine treatment.. is this total BS???? dung.gif Sounds it to me..

The trim on the rear window on the Avant model is fine. I was unable to take a picture of the saloon as it was given back today.

One big thing to check when you get it is that you get the right car.

We had a Golf GTi delivered to us a few years back and it turned out the garage had ordered the wrong one. It was the 1.8 GTi, but the non turbo one. iamwithstupid.gif

Luckily for us, they let us keep it for six months while the correct one was ordered.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thanks for the help guy's. The only issues I have had, is the small scratch on the door which has been removed. and I found a intermittent sensor fault on the ABS when I connected the vag-com unit, thats getting fixed Saturday. Other than that I'm well pleased with the car.

I'm still not keen on the AutoGlym life shine on the car, I think it's going to be replaced with Zymol Concours Wax. Anyone used this wax on there Audi?

TDI Avant Try using autoglyms gloss protection or Ultra deep shine and after a couple of applications its superb. I have tried using stuff ontop of the lifshine and it messes it up. Just spreads it all about and it looks naff. Ill try and post some pics of the Volvo i tried using somthing else on.

I was thinking of stripping off the old wax using zymol HD-Cleanse, then putting the zymol stuff on.

I had to wash the car twice already, this is all thanks to 601 bird squadron landing some direct hits on me paint work sportifs2.gif. I wash the car with AG, but from my limited knowledge of well wax cars, water should just run off. But it don’t on mine. SAUER0421.GIF

May be I just got a Friday afternoon special wax job and it needs to be done again, but I would like to use the best stuff that I can afford.