Car stalls on start up - sometimes

j1mmy

I have a A$ Avant sport 2.5 TDI and every now and then when I start the car, it stalls immediately (ie cuts out). I try to restart, then engine fires then cuts out before I can even rev it. It usually does this two to three times then starts fine and I have no problems,and it does not effect the way the car drives (ie no missfires etc). Does anyone have any ideas as it goes in for service on Monday 5 June and I want to be able to direct the techie to the problem without ensuing additional labour charges to fault find.

Had the same issue on my last 2 audis. It is most likely the immobiliser. Try the other key and see if it happens. There is a small ceramic disk in the key fob that interacts with the main key barrel when you start the car. The disk can become damaged and not make a strong enough connection causing the issue.

Both previous cars, a 1.9TDI A4 and a 1.8T A6 suffered with the problem - I'm obviously a "key dropper" and when switched to the unused second key the problem never occured again. Never got round to replacing the orginal damaged key.

My symptons were the same. At random times, car hot or cold the engine fired then died straight away. Sometimes took 4 or 5 attempts to start and keep running.

Swap the key and see what happens