Can Tyre Pressure make such a Difference

Waitey

I recently had a trip up to Scotland, before i went i did the usuall checks and adjusted the tyre pressure for a full load. Since coming back i havent re adjusted the pressures and according to the computer i am getting on average

27 / 28mpg compared to 22 / 23 mpg before i went. Could this be down to just the pressures? The car is a 1.8T 2000 model. 169144-ok.gif

The tall gearing pays off on long runs. Around town we average 22-25mpg. On a run its 28-30mpg. If you are prepared to cruise at 70mph on the motorway you can average better than that though.

Tyre pressure can effect mpg slightly, but I find using the Climate control makes the biggest difference (5-10% better with it switched off).

My average (mode 2) is about 32.2 mpg, thats about 30 miles a day, 20 dual carriageway, 10 town.

The strangest thing i find is that on the way to work (uphill - A38, Derby to Alfreton)on mode 1 i average around 30 mpg and on the way home i can average up to 38mpg.

I know the engines obviously working harder uphill, but was suprised at the difference!

Granted, to get around 38 i need to drive like a girl, but impressive non the less. I did manage 44.1 mpg from solihull to derby the day i bought the car just driving really steady just to see what i could get out of it.

Drove like a girl on a tank of ultimax last time and managed 454 miles on a tank, gonna do the same on 95 ron and see if there really is any economy benfit to justify the extra cost per litre. ices_blah.gif

i run a tdi with 205/65/15 tyres and run them at 32 psi on short runs and 30 psi on motorway runs and they ware evenly

if you do a lot of short runs the tyre can't generate enough heat to inflate propaly and they will ware on the outside edges