AMD One Click

rball

[ QUOTE ]

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has purchased this 'oneclick' box. I'm concerned that the list price is more than an actual remap itself and you dont get the benefit of a rolling road either

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by that...? If you look at Star's SITE the box is normally about £100 more than just having the map flashed to your ECU direct. It will be the same map in the box.

The graph/dyno run debate will run and run. But I'm sure most tuners will do a simple before and after power run for you (if they have a dyno that is).

It doesn't seem to stop people buying Revo and other software from agents who don't have a dyno.

My map was tweaked by Jim at star on the rollers and then loaded into my DualSystem box. I'm sure AMD will do this for you too. 169144-ok.gif

One other advantage of the DualSystem is it can be all done through the post - You don't even need to visit the tuner.

BUB beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has purchased this 'oneclick' box. I'm concerned that the list price is more than an actual remap itself and you dont get the benefit of a rolling road either

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by that...? If you look at Star's SITE the box is normally about £100 more than just having the map flashed to your ECU direct. It will be the same map in the box.

The graph/dyno run debate will run and run. But I'm sure most tuners will do a simple before and after power run for you (if they have a dyno that is).

It doesn't seem to stop people buying Revo and other software from agents who don't have a dyno.

My map was tweaked by Jim at star on the rollers and then loaded into my DualSystem box. I'm sure AMD will do this for you too. 169144-ok.gif

One other advantage of the DualSystem is it can be all done through the post - You don't even need to visit the tuner.

BUB beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What i mean by that is the price of a remap (which is done on a rolling road) is about 100pounds cheaper than just purchasing the Amd one click unit.

You dont get the benefit of having your car on the rollers if you buy a 'one click'

You said yourself that your remap was tweaked and loaded onto the dual box, how can this be done if you buy it on the net and get it posted out to you.

Amd state themselves that this is a generic remap and is not bespoke for your car.

You had the benefit of getting yours tweaked where as others dont 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What i mean by that is the price of a remap (which is done on a rolling road) is about 100pounds cheaper than just purchasing the Amd one click unit.

You dont get the benefit of having your car on the rollers if you buy a 'one click'

You said yourself that your remap was tweaked and loaded onto the dual box, how can this be done if you buy it on the net and get it posted out to you.

Amd state themselves that this is a generic remap and is not bespoke for your car.

You had the benefit of getting yours tweaked where as others dont 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean Star charge £100 pounds less then you're right. AMD charge £51 extra for a 'rolling road' remap. Which I'm pretty sure will be no different to what they put inside a OneClick box..........

870930-untitled.JPG

From AMD

[ QUOTE ]

AMD 1.8 T 225 BHP STAGE 1 ROLLING ROAD REMAP - to include rolling road time, before and after power and torque plots.

We firstly run through the mechanical side of the car to ensure all is safe to run, we then carry out a full rolling road power test to check the car makes standard numbers, once all is found to be well then we modify the engine soft ware to suit and finally test again on the rolling road. We can then produce full before and after graphs of your cars outputs verifying the gains

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes no mention of tweaking your map and the word 'custom' doesn't appear anywhere at all. In fact when I called AMD nearly two years ago about a re-map and asked about 'tweaking' I got a snotty reply along the lines of "Our re-maps are already optimised, we don’t need to tweak" Seems to me you're just getting charged £51+vat for a power check. A service most tuners will include with the re-map.

If you read Star's web site it states that your car will be given a before and after power run, pretty much what AMD say about their 'rolling road' map.

The way I see it is simple (I'm sure others have their own views) most reputable tuners who can write their own code and have a dyno will get cars in and ‘have a play’. They will write what they believe to be the best compromise re-map for that engine and use it accordingly (just like Revo and others).Indeed if you but Revo that's what you get - a map tried and written for your exact car model BUT not for your very own car (true custom). I know some tuners buy 3rd party software and sell it as their own too. But I saw the before and after plots on my car after a couple of tweaks and I’m very happy with the result.

Have you any idea how long it will take to perform a true custom re-map? Hours, maybe days. If you want a true 'real time' custom re-map then MRC are the boys for you(they re-map as you drive). If I go any further with my car I will be using them next.

Anyway that's why I did a 950 mile round trip to see Jim at Star.

I'm very glad I did.

Where do you live? There's nothing to stop you driving anywhere you like for your re-map, is there?

You pays your money you takes your choice 169144-ok.gif

BUB beerchug.gif

post-5262-137914367016_thumb.jpg

I quite agree with what your saying. It does seem that you are being charged 51+ vat for a power check

I'm dubious about buying a one click as I think to get the best results from a remap you need bespoke to your car.

The only downside as you've pointed out it that it can take hours and maybe days to do.

I was offered a custom remap by a tuning company over here for 200pounds. I decided not to go for it, even though the mapper at the company assured me it would be more or less bespoke to my car and he mentioned that it would take all day to do.

The only reason i opted not to go for it was number 1 it doesnt have the supposed reputation as a company such as Amd, and number 2 i was concerned why it was so cheap.

I live in Northern Ireland so its not really convienient for me to travel to many places. By the time i pay to get over on a boat to the mainland and fill up with a few tanks of fuel it wouldnt be worth my while.

Thats why in essence they created the 'one click'. So that people could get the benefit of a remap without having to travel so far. Thus Amd were exploring a gap in the market.

I'll wait to see a few more opinions on the one click. Thanks Avus Bub though for your input, some very useful info for anyone considering one of these units like myself.

[ QUOTE ]

NP 169144-ok.gif

TBH From what you've said I think your best option will be REVO with the SPS III box, you can trim the map yourself and get an almost custom set up. 169144-ok.gif

BUB beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it that it will be money well spent? Do you get a noticable difference?

I've a 2002 225bhp S3, I suppose its best to get a custom map if you have the likes of an air filter etc? 169144-ok.gif