[Audi A3/S3] Help with purchase ..S3

traktor

Hi all, after months of deliberating and saving I am finally ready for an S3.

I have a viewing arranged this weekend for one, but my problem is i am not too sure what to look out for other than the condition of the bodywork the interior and if there is funny coloured smoke coming from the exhaust.

Can anyone give me a checklist perhaps of things to look out for and questions to ask the owner. It is alot of money and all my other cars have been bangers so this is new to me.

Thanks.

Off the top of my head check for....

<ul type="square"> Make sure that the engine is cold before start up, this should show if it has any issues on first start.

Oil around the filler cap

Any missalignment in body panels

Car has original diverter valve, if it hasn't, chances are its been remapped, not all together a bad thing though!

Uneven tyre wear

OEM exhaust

Ask the owner if it has had all the recalls!

Check the anti roll bar bushes as these tend to need replacing at 60k mark

Always check vin/chassis number is the same as what the paper work states

Check all theelectrics, especially the headlight washers (will only work with headlights on)

On the test drive make sure the Haldex (quattro system) is working properly.

If possible get somebody with vag-com to check the car for any fault codes.

Try and grab a few other test drives, An audi dealer may have a low mileage example previously owned by an oap so would be worth test driving! Other than that Full Audi service history is pretty much a must have!

Hope this helps, I'm sure I have missed a few but somebody im sure will post what I have missed. Don't forget to post piccies!! Enjoy S3 ownership, I still miss mine a LOT!!

smashfreakB.gif

If you are thinking of buying the car after seeing it and don't have someone who knows what they are looking for going along with you (as I didn't) why not get it checked out by the RAC/AA for added piece of mind?

Compared to the cost of the car surely this is worth it as they will check documentation as well as the condition of the vehicle.

Things I'd be looking for - condition of car, service history /m.o.t. certs / receipts etc, oil level and cap, D.I.S display working OK (common prob). I'd also talk to the owner about reason for sale, is it on fixed or variable servicing (I'd prefer fixed but debateable), any mods (some like them, some don't), how they look after the car e.g. warming up, cooling down.

I think you need a good feeling about the car and it's current owner and reason for sale. If it doesn't feel right walk away as there are plenty out there.

Regards,

B

[ QUOTE ]

Other than that Full Audi service history is pretty much a must have!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I'd insist on FASH, as long as it has a full history and has been serviced at a reputable independent. To be honest personally I'd prefer a history from a good independent as they generally seem to know the cars better.

Try and find out how many owners the cars has had. If its had over say 4/5, why? Also, upon starting up press the left button in the dashboard and it'll tell you when the next service is due. It could cost you £800-£1000 just for that.

You can also, upon start up, press the left button twice. It will run through a quick diagnostic check (oil,brake pads, etc). It'll run through the list, then should come up with ok.

Another good indication of how well the car has been looked after would be to get a look at his cleaning products! If he's got Swissol,Meguirs,Autoglym,Zymol products in his garage, you know there's been a little love going into the car. 169144-ok.gifsmlove2.gif

Hey thanks guys, there's certainly alot of stuff I didn't think off. I might possibly get some AA/RAC assistance .. what i don't want to do is just fall in love with the first one I see and just buy it for the sake of it.

I will keep updating my progress, as It might benifit others and also any other tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]

Hey thanks guys, there's certainly alot of stuff I didn't think off. I might possibly get some AA/RAC assistance .. what i don't want to do is just fall in love with the first one I see and just buy it for the sake of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like women, the first one could be the right one. Or you may have to try out a few to see what you like! I bought the first one I viewed (2 owners, FSH, RAC check which soothed any qualms and an owner who had a genuine reason (emigration) for sale and enthusiasm for the car). Have had it for 2 years now with no regrets.

Good luck with the hunt.