Which Passat to buy?

18ME

Once I've sold the Clio and TT I'll be looking for something more sensible for a while, but which model to go for?

I don't mind the 1.9tdi 130 (as I've had it in an A4 before) as long as I get it remapped. Really I quite fancy either the V5 or V6 mainly because of the smoothness.

It needs to have a good spec though and no more than 4 years old. I presume the V5 and V6 have a reasonably good amount of kit as std but is there a TDi model that comes with similar spec?

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

What about the 2.5 V6 tdi, has a fair amount of spec though most come with 1/2 Leather/alacantra seats rather than full leather. I think the spec is very similar to the tdi sport or 2.8 V6 petrol.

If you want a passat full of toys including sat nav, leather and sunroof, you could do worse than look at the Skoda Superb Elegance models.

Chris

With all due respect, I don't want a Skoda mainly due to the interior quality not quite upto VW/Audi. Not keen on the 2.5tdi either.

Maybe interested in the 130tdi sport then if the same spec as the V5/V6. I also prefer the 1/2 leather/alcantara unless its nappa. I'm also not keen on wood interior but I presume V5/V6/W8 all have wood, although its not that important as its only meant to be a temporary car until I'm settled in business on my own.

I'll probably buying from auction so it'd be good to know the rough specs first as I've not looked Passats before other than a W8 a couple of years back.

Thanks for your input, any extra advise would be appreciated. 169144-ok.gif

I'd advise you to go for a TDi 130. I think you can have it remapped to at least 160bhp (maybe 170).

Avoid the V6 Tdi as its a heavy lump, poor on fuel and will only take a small remap.

A 2.8 4Motion Passat would be lovely, but finding one could be hard and I reckon some have wood trim which is all wrong.

Coming from sporty motors I'd go for sport trim if I were you as the sports suspension does make a difference and ofcourse the car will look better as it sits lower and has larger rims.

You will be hard pressed to find a V5 and even harder pressed to find a 4motion.

The best bet is the 130TDi sport as they were sold in massive numbers to fleet buyers so will be plentiful at auction.

I quite often buy cars at auction, but actually purchased the Passat through ebay from a dealer. Its all about how cheap you get the car and a 4 year old 1.8T sport cost me £3700 which is top value. Might be worth having a look.

Ofcourse you could save yourself thousands, buy the 1.8T and have it remapped to 200+bhp. I would have preffered the TDi, but its hard to justify nearly double the price for the same car just with a diesel engine.

At the end of the day if you are not keeping it long it would be the price that is the deciding factor and not perhaps the exact spec.

Thanks, you're right about there being a lot more 1.9tdi's but you do see the occassional V5's and V6's through auction. Theres a 2.8 4mo going through tomorrow but its an estate. I'll probably hang on until the right car goes through when I'm ready to buy.

BTW my old A4 QS 130tdi was remapped to 190 by AmD which is why I don't mind that engine grin.gif