Chipped GTI and Insurance

flnutt

Thinking of chipping my GTI, a couple of things i was thinking about was, does the extra power affect the balance of the car. Does it make the brakes feel weak, and can the suspension cope? Also how much difference did this make to your insurance?

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

Mine was (now isnt, as VW flashed it!).

APR - up to 240bhp - but much better torque and pick up - and mpg was no worse - if not better.

Slightly wayward in the wet if heavy with the right foot.

Brakes/handling more than up to the job.

My insurance was 500 standard, 700 chipped.

I had a warning light, and VW reloaded the engine management software with the lastest version - which they often do as a matter of course on a service. Most chip co's should put it back afterwards - but worth checking if they do/charge..

Note also that if the dealer works out it is remaped they will use it as an excuse to riggle out of anything they can imagine could be related...

Hi

Like you - I am thinking of chipping mine. Have you seen the Morego site? Very good article in recent EVO on chipping a GTi to 250bhp and adding s/steel milteks for £1000. Check this: link

I have a mate who chipped his WRX and the insurance is only £40 a year extra!. My GTi has a two year warranty (bought through Holland) so think i will do it in about a year when there is just 6 months of the VW warranty left. Would appreciate thoughts from others who have chipped and who they used.

Insurance costs after a re-map are usually +10% of annual premium for every extra 10bhp over standard. ALWAYS keep your insurer fully informed of all mods or you risk invalidating your whole insurance and getting blacklisted.

Do you know you can buy your third year of warranty from VW?

[ QUOTE ]

Thinking of chipping my GTI, a couple of things i was thinking about was, does the extra power affect the balance of the car. Does it make the brakes feel weak, and can the suspension cope? Also how much difference did this make to your insurance?

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had my REVO'd, up to approx 255bhp and 300 or so ftlb torque. The car is a lot quicker now, mid range punch is amazing. No torque steer to report of, in the wet though have to be light footed!!!

The suspension if fine, I just find the brakes are a bit 'wooden', but I fel this before the re-map though. Might think about a brake upgrade at sometime.

Very pleased with no problems to report of. As mentioned above, the fuel economey seems slightly better!!!

Hi Red

Thnaks for the info - yes I wopuld be utterly straight with my insurers. Just not worth the risk of doing the opther thing! I had heard that I can buy an extra year of warranty - will look into it when I get her serviced first time. On which note I am at 9000 miles - i am expecting the car to tell me at about 13-15000 would you think???

Cheers - Jonathan

[ QUOTE ]

The suspension if fine, I just find the brakes are a bit 'wooden', but I fel this before the re-map though. Might think about a brake upgrade at sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Oli 169144-ok.gif

You may like to consider improving the brakes by just changing the pads, hoses to braided stainless steel, with a good racing fluid - A cheaper first stage.

Re suspension - Although the OEM suspension is fine, it's even finer if you mod to KoniFSD+Eibach ARBs. Absolutely no nose-dive from any speed and very well planted when driving hard. It only lowers about 5-10mm.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Oli 169144-ok.gif

You may like to consider improving the brakes by just changing the pads, hoses to braided stainless steel, with a good racing fluid - A cheaper first stage.

Re suspension - Although the OEM suspension is fine, it's even finer if you mod to KoniFSD+Eibach ARBs. Absolutely no nose-dive from any speed and very well planted when driving hard. It only lowers about 5-10mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Red,

Im sure you are on a commission from Koni/Miltek!!!!! HA HA

I think I will try differnt pads initially and see how I go.

169144-ok.gif