Popping noise from stereo

I'm getting a loud popping noise whenever i trun my stereo on and change tracks. Tried everything, checked the connections and the earth and the RCA leads. Nothing wrong with it at all. Could it be because i'm using an amplified headunit for the BOSE system?

I take it you changed your head unit to aftermarket?

If so Audi uses capacitors in their equipment for noise suppression (headunit & amp) when I changed the amps on my car and kept the standard head unit I also got the pop when switching on and off (not between tracks though).

But in your case there are also capacitors in the Bose Amp as well so when the line out mutes when carrying out functions (e.g. manually changing tracks) on the new headunit the capacitor discharges but the amp is still on this causes a pop.

Not sure of an effective cure

The problem for you is inside the amp so not sure if that would work, if the suppressor used an in line capacitor then may be.

You will have to either remove the capacitors form inside the Bose amp (never tried so cannot help)

Or stop the new head unit from muting the RCA output possibly by using an inline capacitor to keep the Bose capacitor from discharging.

As my problem was the other way round & I have not done this myself i am not sure on the outcome.

The capacitors & components to make this are not hard to source or expensive (Maplins) it is just getting the right ones.

I could give you a few ideas but having not tested it for myself it would be theory.

However I clicked on a link on ASN this morning & it looks like ‘rich dj’ has literally just posted about this very thing.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=26307&highlight=filter+40hz

he has actually done what I was suggesting maybe he is the guy to ask.