2006 VW Polo 1.4 FSI Short Review

Mouse

Well since as of tonight I will no longer be insured on the Mk7, might as well give a brief write-up.

Personally, as standard I think the car looks fantastic, especially the chrome grill. 86bhp isn't a lot in a heavy supermini, but it has enough poke around town. Of course it is no match for a G40 etc. It copes really well at high speeds mind you, and will climb past 100 without sounding like it is struggling or will fall apart (not that you need to be going those speeds anyway Wink). The engine likes to be revved.

Fuel economy isn't as great as quoted (47MPG combined) - I usually got around 40, but did manage 48.2 on a tank of Optimax (mainly motorway miles but will an almost full load).

The ride itself is very smooth and the car is really quiet on start up, it is insane how quiet it is. The ride is really comfortable. I first found the steering far too light but now find it fine. I can see how it can be critisised for a lack of feel, but it makes for easier driving. Handling is good, tyres could do with a little more grip sometimes.

The interior has nice sports seats which are really comfy. Standard sound system and CD changer sound really good, and there is plenty of bass if you want it. It can be a little dull inside in day but by night when you see the red and blue dials you never get tired of it. There are lots of very well thought out trays and storage areas, and the cup holder always impresses. Card holder is a good idea too. Trip computer can be handy when wanting to know the temperature, average speed, economy etc.

There is a lot of space too, even in the back. It has a big car feel, and it can sit 4 comfortably with no complaints, only compliments. When I went in my dad's Golf it didn't feel as big anymore. Car has a good driving position too.

Overall it is a great car, and it's good to see VW giving the Polo a good name. The new GTI must be fantastic to drive, and it looks even better on the inside.